They won't leave the coop

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by TinyChickenLady, Sep 3, 2011.

1. TinyChickenLady

TinyChickenLady Chillin' With My Peeps

I've recently integrated my silkies into the coop with 2 older chickens. The older ones seems to be behaving themselves. They got testy for a day or 2 but they never pecked the babies or kept them from food. But unfortunately, the silkie babies won't leave the coop. Sometimes 1 or 2 of them wander out but they stay right in the coop for the most part. I understand why they wouldn't on a chilly day but yesterday was about 80* and only one came out to wander around. Any ideas why or what I should do? Should I shoo them out on a nice day or let them figure it out on their own?

2. christineavatar

christineavatar Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    Bolinas, CA
    Just let them be chicks. They will go out when they are ready. My only thought is how do they get out? If there is a rise or some other physical blockage to them getting out that might be keeping them in.

3. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    Quote:Its all about getting comfortable. They will when they are ready. You can bait them out with treats and that may work?

Steve

4. Achickenwrangler#1

Achickenwrangler#1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2011
    west virginia
    are they going out to free range, or into a run with the bigger birds? Maybe if that's it, place some obstacles for them to hide

5. TinyChickenLady

TinyChickenLady Chillin' With My Peeps

They have a ramp that takes them out into their run. They have a huge run that encompasses apple trees and stumps and other "toys" for them. LoL they pretty much have a perfect run. They are sharing it with two other chickens that are a few weeks older than them. They also have hiding places inside the coop but the older guys don't bother them much.
    But you were all right. I came home tonight and found about 6 of the 13 hanging outside. Guess they're learning their way around now.
    [​IMG] Thanks everyone

6. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    Sounds like a great set up! I would just let them explore on their own.When I let my hens roam they never went to far from the shed,but now they are all over the acre lot.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by