They won't leave the coop

TinyChickenLady

Songster
8 Years
Jul 14, 2011
My backyard farm, Maine
I've recently integrated my silkies into the coop with 2 older chickens. The older ones seems to be behaving themselves. They got testy for a day or 2 but they never pecked the babies or kept them from food. But unfortunately, the silkie babies won't leave the coop. Sometimes 1 or 2 of them wander out but they stay right in the coop for the most part. I understand why they wouldn't on a chilly day but yesterday was about 80* and only one came out to wander around. Any ideas why or what I should do? Should I shoo them out on a nice day or let them figure it out on their own?

christineavatar

Songster
9 Years
May 1, 2011
Bolinas, CA
Just let them be chicks. They will go out when they are ready. My only thought is how do they get out? If there is a rise or some other physical blockage to them getting out that might be keeping them in.

TinyChickenLady

Songster
8 Years
Jul 14, 2011
My backyard farm, Maine
They have a ramp that takes them out into their run. They have a huge run that encompasses apple trees and stumps and other "toys" for them. LoL they pretty much have a perfect run. They are sharing it with two other chickens that are a few weeks older than them. They also have hiding places inside the coop but the older guys don't bother them much.
But you were all right. I came home tonight and found about 6 of the 13 hanging outside. Guess they're learning their way around now.
Thanks everyone

Mattemma

Crowing
10 Years
Aug 12, 2009
Sounds like a great set up! I would just let them explore on their own.When I let my hens roam they never went to far from the shed,but now they are all over the acre lot.

Top Bottom