They wont roost!! Plus new babies to add in

Starshollow

In the Brooder
Apr 22, 2023
Hey all!
We have 10 hens and a roo and they will not roost.

We got them as pullets about 2 months ago. They were in one room (with outside space) for about a month and then we're moved. When they didn't roost in the first room I had thought ok they were raised on cage floor they aren't use to it and I would out them up when we moved them. I did try a couple times at night but they just hopped down. So I didn't push it.

We moved them to their new coop and same. They all just huddle in the corner.

The roost are 2x4 with the wide side facing up. There are 3 levels.

I put them kn and they just hop down.

Our roo has gotten to be a bit big for his britches in the last couple weeks so I am a little scared to go and try to put them up anymore.

We have 22 8-week Olds that I would like to add in with them and was planning to put them on the roost at night (theese ones we got as chicks and them seem to understand roosting). And I have 15 3 week Olds that will follow suit when they are bigger.
I'm not sure how to proceed. Do we pin down the roo and get the ladies up? As soon as I get one up and go get the other the first is already down....

I no it is not normal chicken behavior, but is there any harm being caused by them not roosting?
I would look more into what to do with your roo and how to integrate the chicks.

Back
Top Bottom