They won't sex my Polish I want to order?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by SteveBaz, Oct 19, 2011.

1. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    My wife wants a bird and of course leave it to a women (sorry ladies) to wants a chicken that is the most difficult to sex.

So what do you guys do about the Roo's?

I know its about a 50% chance of Roo's. So If I order 5 will I have to get rid of 2 or 3 after getting attached to them in 3 months the lady said!!!

How to order juveniles maybe 8 weeks plus. So who will sell me a few Polish that are a more mature bird they have sexed?

Who does that for you?

Anyone have 3 Polish they would sell my wife after loosing our entire flock but 1 after the attack this week!!!

Any ideas to get 3 or 4 Polish? I told her we cant buy 1 they will be alone besides they come in 3's or 4's [​IMG]

She wanted a Silver for sure and I love the Buff and the pure white and all black one's.

Any help would sure be appreciated.

Thanks for looking

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    You might use the Search feature on here and find your state thread in the Where am I? Where are you? section. Somebody within driving distance may be able to help you.

3. sutillman

sutillman Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2009
    south georgia
    I've had quite a few polish and believe me, the only way to sex them is to wait for them to either crow or lay an egg. You can sometimes tell with their crowns. Males have a more bushy standupish type and females a more smooth one. I had a tolbunt that I thought for six months was a hen and he started crowing, so you just never know.

4. calicokat

calicokat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2009
    azalia, indiana
    I had really good luck sexing my polish about day three, using the feather method. The boys feathers looked more like dandylion fluff, and the girls were more developed. There's a thread on here with pictures. Print the pictures and use them for guidance. I was actually 100% right on the 10 we kept. However, you do have to wait till about day 3 - I tried it too early and was sure it was all roos!

5. SteveBaz

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    [​IMG] FANTASTIC [​IMG]

BB my bride of 30 years in January is going to be very happy. I just got off the phone with the lady from Meyers Hatchery and said that they offer sexed Polish chicks a day old and are 90% guaranteed to be right on. If you get a Roo they will refund but, that's hard to do with your heart after a month or so believe me the money $5.00 means nothing. I know after the attack this week with 5 of our precious girls killed its heart breaking, so even roo's can break your heart if losing them too.

Well I order a Silver lace, White on White lace and BlackBlue with white for her. No notice, no idea and she will ask me whats up going down stairs so much bc Its hard for me going up and down the stairs. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] .... I am exhausted looking Thank you Meyers and a very nice lady [​IMG]

6. SteveBaz

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    Quote:Sorry you guys thanks for the post RidgeRunner, calicokat and others I got excited and found Meyers.

calicokat interesting things about the feather diagnostics. Is it true with all chickens you think or breed specific?

7. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    You are somewhere in the PNW. There is a poultry swap this Saturday (Oct 22) at Corvallis at the fairgrounds. I know that there are a couple of different people bringing Polish.

Also, you can go to the Meet-ups section, find the Poultry Swap Corvallis thread and post what you are looking for. The thread should be very near the top; it is getting a lot of action.

8. SteveBaz

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    Quote:Thank you for mentioning it. I looked on the Oregon site and it was posted in Where are you & ........ I think I am going to head down with the wife and grand baby. [​IMG]

9. Melissa Rose

Melissa Rose Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2011
    South Texas
    Hi Steve [​IMG]
    It's my understanding that it's a large fowl thing and doesn't work with the bantams but I could be wrong ! Congratulations on the Top Hats [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. SteveBaz

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    Quote:I have 4 new girls EE, BR, Blk Star SLW and with Blondie so I got 5 full size birds that I don't think will work with bantams. I might be wrong just going with gut feelings. I think the silkies are just so sweet the little fuzz balls.... Lets see almost 30 yrs married and my wife said; "I like the ones with the Do's you know the ones that run around blind always flipping there hair back bc they are so cute." Flipping the hair back ..... My wife said cute about a chicken [​IMG] I am not going to say to her "do you want full size birds or midgets?" I have learned not to ask to many questions over the years [​IMG] Now I did say; "Now Honey you know they come in 3's or is it 4's?" [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by