They won't stop eating!!!!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Jeffross1968, Oct 14, 2011.

1. Jeffross1968

Jeffross1968 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Smoky Mountains
    LOL, I had no idea! I have 3 chicks, around 3 weeks old, who are eating a quart of grower/starter every day...sometimes a bit more. Is this normal? Should I be limiting their food some? It's out first hatched chicks...have 20 more on the way and want to make sure I'm not overfeeding.

Good lord they are growing!!!

[​IMG]

2. acoustic-rooster

acoustic-rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2011
    N E Ohio
    the more they eat the more they grow! Don't worry about overfeeding though, its normal [​IMG]

3. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    Babys eat poop drink play and sleep , then eat poop drink play and sleep [​IMG] I am sorry but thats how it goes for about the first 2 months. See how many crickets they eat [​IMG] or how many mealworms [​IMG]

4. raymondjames

raymondjames Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2011
    thats healthy. my chicks dont eat as much but oh well [​IMG] yours are healthy though there fine! [​IMG]

5. jmtcmkb

jmtcmkb Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2011
    New Hampshire
    I have 5 and they dont eat as much, but who am I to say that's not normal, I also offer about 1/4- 1/3 cup of sprouts a day!

6. ADozenGirlz

ADozenGirlz The Chicken Chick[IMG]emojione/assets/png/00ae.png

Oct 18, 2009
    Connecticut
    Quote:Impressive! I'll bet they're all roolets!

7. saladin

saladin Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    the South
    This is no where near normal.

They are not eating this much! They are wasting it.

At 3 weeks of age you should still be feeding them in a covered feeder (long tray looking thing with a slide top that has holes in it). The feed is not filled to the top of the tray as they will knock it out.

Chicks are very wasteful. A quart of chick crumbles at three weeks of age would feed near twenty five chicks.

8. Melissa Rose

Melissa Rose Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2011
    South Texas
    Quote:I just gave my newly hatched bcms and lavendar orps some live meal worms this morning [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] They look like little fuzzy elephants running around with the worms protuding from their beaks [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. Jeffross1968

Jeffross1968 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Smoky Mountains
    Quote:So far, I've noticed very little waste. I have the feeder up on a 2x4. I took them out of the brooder yesterday and into a small run outside while I cleaned the brooder. I want poking through it all, and could not have strained out enough food to make any difference. They are seriously eating nearly a quart a day between them. I have one of those other feeders, with the slide top. I'll try that and see if I'm missing something. But I really think they're eating that much, LOL.

10. urbanfarmer101

urbanfarmer101 Chillin' With My Peeps

You had best start a savings account for feed right now. [​IMG] Mine haven't stopped eating like feathered piggies. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by