They won't touch it!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by pookiegoldman, Aug 10, 2010.

1. pookiegoldman

pookiegoldman Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2010
    Grand Isle, Louisiana
    I've built a new two tier, semi-enclosed nesting box for my 16 hens (who are all 19 weeks old) (BO, Cochins, Australorp, Polish, Delaware, White Rock) but they refuse to even go anywhere NEAR the nesting box. I've put a few hens in it but they have no desire to stay in it. I've got dummy eggs in it, but they will never see those eggs because they won't go near it!!!! [​IMG]

It's been there for a week but I haven't ever witnessed any of them checking it out.... Are they just too young or what? Maybe they dislike the purple paint?? [​IMG]

Most of the heavier breeds' faces are very red, but I've never heard them clucking about, or seen them squatting. What gives?

2. PortageGirl

PortageGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2008
    Portage County, Ohio
    Time.

3. pookiegoldman

Aug 3, 2010
    Grand Isle, Louisiana
    Will they just one day magically show interest in it??

4. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    Are they already laying? You might try getting some fake eggs and stick them in the nesting boxes. [​IMG]

5. PortageGirl

Nov 8, 2008
    Portage County, Ohio
    Well, since you don't have any already laying who can set an example, they may well lay some eggs out on the ground or the floor. First eggs are always funny they seem a little puzzled by them. In my experience though, when they start to feel the urge, they get restless and start considering where they want to set down and think about this funny urge they're starting to get and then yeah, they'll definitely consider those box thingies that seem inviting. (I never met a hen that minded purple BTW... or any other color for that matter.)

The golf balls are good, some people say plastic easter eggs, but mine laugh at those because they're so light... they play soccer with them I think!

Last edited: Aug 10, 2010
  6. MakNugget

MakNugget Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2010
    Portland, OR
    Quote:I think so.

I have two nest boxes set up with bedding and golf balls and the girls don't go in it either. I've never seen them interested in it in person, but I've watched them take a little more interest over the few weeks in the coop via webcam.

I've also read that making sure that the nestboxes are dark enough should help. Some people have opted for a cloth curtain.

7. pookiegoldman

Aug 3, 2010
    Grand Isle, Louisiana
    Thanks guys for your replies. I think I will try the curtain if they still seem hesitant in a week or so.

8. okiechicken

okiechicken Out Of The Brooder

Jul 7, 2010
    i didnt put in the nest box until i found eggs on the floor of the coop. i put in the box, added some wooden eggs froma hobby store, and havent had any problems since. unless you count most of the hens laying are laying in one box...not all are laying yet either so there's time for the others to see use.

9. Dixiedoodle

Dixiedoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    My girls were 27weeks old when they started laying. From the time they were 20weeks old, I checked for eggs--looking on the floor, in the corners, in the run, everywhere... then, I went to the coop one day and there in the NEST box was a small beautiful egg. Haven't had a problem w/ them laying anywhere else --oh, I'll find one here or there ever couple of weeks but most of the eggs are in the nest boxes... Just has to be the right time for them..

10. PortageGirl

Nov 8, 2008
    Portage County, Ohio
    They'll use em, because they prefer the semi enclosed feeling of any sort of boxy area. Just give them time! Chickens have been figuring out the whole egg/nest/chicken thing for a pretty long time now!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by