They won't use the ladder to the roosts and therefore, can't roost

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by forestrymom, Jun 5, 2011.

1. forestrymom

forestrymom Out Of The Brooder

Sep 11, 2010
    We changed our roost set up so we could have a poop board and they only way to get to the roosts is by way of a chicken ladder, but they refuse to use it, so they are lost. I even put one chicken on the ladder and she flew right back down. What should I do?

2. K8tieCat

K8tieCat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    Northern California
    Wait until dark. Put them on the roosts and they will stay there until morning. Keep doing that until they learn where to go. Make sure your ladder is not too steep and that it's comfortable for them to use.

3. forestrymom

forestrymom Out Of The Brooder

Sep 11, 2010
    I did that last night and then again tonight. My husband told me to leave them alone and they'd figure it out on their own, but I'd already left them for 30 minutes last night and about that again tonight (while I tended to my goats). I don't think the ladder is too steep, but how would I know? Its no steeper than the rungs on their previous roost was (it was a ladder type roost). Its a 1x6 with 1x1's nailed into it for footing. Anyway, I'll give it a few more nights.

4. lotzahenz

lotzahenz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2008
    Lexington, Kentucky
    Can you add a temporary rung to your roost, that is not over the poop board? Once the acclimate to that, maybe they will move 'up' later on. Then you can just remove it. I used to worry about that, but leave them be now myself. They usually learn to get up in the highest places if they want to, except the silkies of course. Even my cochins make it up there somehow.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by