1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

They'e planning their escape!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by TheRidingLibrarian, Mar 23, 2009.

1. TheRidingLibrarian

TheRidingLibrarian Out Of The Brooder

Feb 26, 2009
    Fellsmere, FL
    The EEs are making a break for it. LOL Twice now I have walked into the kitchen and found one of the EEs perched on the edge of the brooder. This is what it looks like:

[​IMG]

When I see her and say, "Hey! What are you doing?" She jumps back in, all "What me? I wasn't doin' nuthin."

They won't leave without their friends though. The day before I had let two of them out to run around the living room and get some exercise. I caught one, got distracted for a second, looked back and watched the other: 1. Hop onto a kitchen chair. 2. Hop onto the edge of the Brooder and 3. Hop back into the brooder. I was amazed that at their age they could figure that out. (3 weeks last Friday)

Coop is a day or two away from completion. Thanks goodness 'cause these chicks are ready to move!!

2. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    Mine are 2 weeks old and have been getting out of the brooder for a few days now. It's simialr in size to yours. My BA "popcorned" herself out of the brooder & overshot the edge. Now she's figured out how to land on the edge. My bigger BO isn't as adept, though now she's nursing an injured foot ( [​IMG] ). She did get on top of the brooder this morning, little cutie pie.

So far no wandering chicks in the house, though. We'll have to put a screen on top as soon as they figure that one out.

3. sherrydeanne

sherrydeanne Chillin' With My Peeps

I have two cats (and two little kids) so there's a screened top on my brooder but every single time I try to move it, the darn EE's take to the sky. I've had two make the edge so far.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by