1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

They're all egg eaters!!! Update!!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Haunted Chicken, Sep 15, 2011.

1. Haunted Chicken

Haunted Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Oregon
    I thought I had at least 3 more weeks to start looking for my first egg. Oh the wonderful anticipation.....and then I look out my window at noon today and see all 5 of my ladies pecking away at something on the sidewalk. My heart sunk when I realized what it was. I ran back in for a garbage bag and returned to find a spotless sidewalk. All evidence was already gone. I'm beginning to wonder if one of my most recent ladies is much older than we thought. They may have been doing this everyday since she came 2 weeks ago. I see a tough road ahead of me trying to break them of this. I've been taking my time finishing the run since they free range all day and only go into the coop at night. I guess I'll start by keeping her and her friend in the coop tomorrow. I'll just keep checking for an egg. Luckily I know which one it is since she's the only one that should lay white eggs. What a heart break. I was so excited to find that first egg and show everyone. Oh well.......[​IMG] Just another chicken adventure, I guess [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 17, 2011
  2. jtbrown

jtbrown Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    Southeastern Ohio
    I am sad for you.[​IMG]

3. Haunted Chicken

Haunted Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Oregon
    Quote:Thank you, my heart just sunk when I saw that pile of egg shells. No happy dance going on for that egg [​IMG]

4. ChickenScratchin

ChickenScratchin Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2011
    Colorado
    Don't be discouraged. One of my first eggs was soft shelled and laid on the floor right in front of me... The crowd got there before I could and it was gone. But they haven't eaten one since.

I'd make sure she has a good box and lock her in if necessary, to make sure it's out-of-sight-out-of-mind.

5. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    That is allways a tough site to see, it makes me mad very mad. Mainly because it is just so dang hard to break them, I have never been able to as with most folks. Some folks won't cull regardless and spend small fortunes on goofy little tricks or an easier roll out nest box. If I find one now it get's it's neck twisted right then and there in front of all the other hen's in plain view, although that method doesn't help the other hens get the idea, it makes me feel better. We spend all that time and effort raising them to laying age only to find they egg eaters, it's devestating. Good luck on trying to break her or any other method.

6. MIKE555444

MIKE555444 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2009
    Pliny, West Virgina
    One thing you might try is to put out some golf balls... which they consider to be eggs. If they try and can't eat them then the may decide they can't eat the real ones either... Otherwise you may end up with several that do this. I had a flock once that would punish me by eating eggs if I let there food tray run empty... so my chickens always have plenty of food now lol

Good Luck

7. Cpprpnny19

Cpprpnny19 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2011
    Middleboro
    Some of my "needed a new home" hens were egg eaters. They were cooped
    up all day in a small pen, plucked bald by the 2 rooster to 3 hens ratio, and not
    fed right.
    As soon as food was available in abundance, and they went out everyday, they stopped eating
    the eggs. In fact one lays now and can't leave the egg behind fast enough to go out to forage lol!

Lynne [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. AZBootsie

AZBootsie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2010
    Congress, AZ
    My Coop
    I have read that if you make their nesting box short, they can't stand up after laying the egg to get a good peck at it. You could try that. Just have to get them to lay in the box instead of the sidewalk.

9. AZBootsie

AZBootsie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2010
    Congress, AZ
    My Coop
    Quote:Sounds like a possiblity to me!!
    maybe try and increase their protein??

10. Ahena

Ahena New Egg

May 12, 2011
    I had an elderly lady (I'm 65) tell me to blow out an egg and fill it with yellow mustard. She said they can't stand the taste. I know which hen does it, and if this doesn't stop her egg eating we will be having chicken and noodles.......

Good luck

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by