They're all gone now

trackfodder

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jul 19, 2010
The animal control people came calling again. It seems the woman at the far end of our block had been haranguing the police about my darn chickens in the street. We had already gotten the rooster, General Grant, up to South Coffeyville OK where we left the big noisy one and got the pullet from. We all made a valiant effort to capture Henrietta, to no avail. They wouldn't tell who filed the complaint but my wife was fighting mad and took off walking to the end of the block on a bad hip with NO SIGN OF A LIMP. She walked up to the first house and a woman came out and said,"WHAT DO YOU WANT?" Maggie said she was looking for the woman that was upset with our chickens. The woman told her to get off the property or she would call the police. Mag told her not to get her panties in a wad. Then she call the police again and rudely and loudly gave them Hell for the animal officer telling who filed, which she didn't. Mag called and told them as much.
Ya know what? They have a carport that is 13 ft. from the street and setback here is 25 ft. I m' thinkin' about it. Might offer to rent them a hacksaw. I suspect they came from Back East and forgot to leave their bad manners and rudeness behind. People in Oklahoma don't behave that way. We finally caught Henrietta with food under a big wire basket propped up with a stick and a string through the window. She is back home in S Coffeyville again. I took a few shots of the BIG GUY in the coop but forgot how to post the pix

I am sorry you had to remove your birds.

Calling the city on her won't bring the birds back but it might make you feel better. Some people deserve a taste of their own medicine.

people suck. They dont have a life therefore they dont want you to. I would do what ever I could to make her life misrable but thats just me. Treat me right I treat you right but as my dad would say dont get on the fightin side of me.

I suppose that if the birds are constantly out wandering it is a problem (although when we first moved into this neighborhood, we got a kick out of a chicken flock that regularly "crossed the road." That was before we had more than a few). But if only one once or on rare occasions? Call about the carport, and hope there was not a variance.

Sorry about your birds, misery loves company and unfortunately some people have too much time on their hands and not enough pleasure in their life so they look to make others miserable so as to somehow relieve their own pain. I say call the city regarding the setback because she obviously wants everyone to be compliant which should also include herself.

So sorry, people are getting to be something else!
somad.gif

This is why I don't want neighbors! I live around a few, but we're mostly county folks out here so it's not too bad. I;m so sorry your neighbor has to be such a
duc.gif
. I don't know why people can't find a better use for their time.

Poppy

Call about the car port. There may be a variance or it may be grandfathered in or something, but then again, it may not. She will have to comply in every way if everyone else has to.
That said, the birds really shouldn't have been out in the road. They do need to be contained for their own safety, and in the interest of being a good neighbor. When I called code enforcement here, prior to buying my birds, they said that the main issue they have with chickens is people calling in complaints about birds that are out in the road or along the side of the road where they might be a hazard. It really didn't occur to me that people would just let their birds roam like that.

If the car port is the new style, metal supports and a corrugated metal roof, some people don't think they need a permit for those. Maybe every place doesn't require a permit, but we do here. I would call the city and see if a person would need a permit if it one of those car ports and has been erected recently. If they do sick 'em.

Back
Top Bottom