They're all laying on their side...?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by allig8r, Jul 24, 2008.

1. allig8r

allig8r Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm panicking.

I have 8 hens. I usually let them out to free range late in the day. Today has been one of the cooler days of the week (mid 80s) and their coop (and attached run) are in the shade.

So I let them out and first, one laid down, laid on her side and lifted a wing. About a minute, she got up. Then they were all doing it--out in the sun.

I've had them out in hotter weather and never seen this--out in the open, in the sun.

Other points: they had significantly dropped egg production last week. Thought it was the heat.

They have plenty of calcium and fresh water (and food of course). DE in their water to help with potential parasites.

In the last 48 hours, we had 3" of rain--so they're not dust-bathing because there's no dust. In the hotter weather, I've never seen them dust outside of their run.

Egg production is back up the last few days--but not back to normal. Hens were born a year ago Memorial Day weekend if that helps any.

Of course, no clue what they're doing now as I ran in here thinking they were all going to die and posted immediately.

[​IMG]

ETA: Checked again... they all appear to be "normal" now and back under the fig--their favorite place.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2008
  2. Jennyhaschicks

Jennyhaschicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2008
    Maine
    They are just sunning themselves.
    I thought mine were dying the first time they did it too. [​IMG]

3. DouglasPeeps

DouglasPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2008
    Colorado
    They are Sunbathing! That is what we call it here anyway!

4. allig8r

Quote:HOLY MOLY... they'll make ya crazy--right??? I had all kinds of delusions of having done something wrong and causing some kind of parasite infestation or something... remembering posts about calcium deficiency and thinking it had something to do with being on their sides.

Thanks!

5. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

It was probably just right and the melted into a sun bath. I had a chick who'd do that in my hands when I held him in the sun. LOL

6. ThreeBoysChicks

ThreeBoysChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2007
    Thurmont, MD
    Ditto - They are soaking up the sun.

7. allig8r

Oh now I just feel silly! [​IMG]

8. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    Yup, sunbathing. Drying out after all that rain. My roo was doing that today after a ton of rain yesterday (he got drenched - it hit very suddenly). They can look for all the world like they are on their last leg (wing?) when sprawled out like that but I think they are actually quite euphoric while doing it [​IMG]

9. Jennyhaschicks

Jennyhaschicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2008
    Maine
    Quote:HOLY MOLY... they'll make ya crazy--right??? I had all kinds of delusions of having done something wrong and causing some kind of parasite infestation or something... remembering posts about calcium deficiency and thinking it had something to do with being on their sides.

Thanks!

Oh yah that will make ya crazy! Mine were about 3 weeks old when they first did it. I had NO idea what in the world was going on.

10. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    You are not silly at all!! You are smart to check! Avoids the woulda, coulda, shouldas when something really is wrong. [​IMG]
    JJ

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by