They're all together!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Henrietta23, May 24, 2008.

1. Henrietta23

Henrietta23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2007
    Eastern CT
    I have two batches of chicks, three days apart in age, 6 weeks old now. They'd been in separate brooders until recently. We started with them completely separated to make sure each batch was healthy. Then we had them in brooders where they could see each other. Then we moved them to a large dog kennel with fence separating them. We took the fence out today. They are getting along for the most part, some pecking order establishing going on. The welsummers really gave the BOs a hard time but it seems to have settled down some. We'll watch them carefully over the long weekend. I've got a crate ready in case I have to pull the welsummers out.
    DS is now entertaining them by reading Hop on Pop to them while the Beatles' Yellow Submarine is playing on the cd player. Now if the nighttime temps would just get warm enough that they could move outside..... [​IMG]

2. Acre of Blessings

Acre of Blessings Canning/Sewing Addict

Apr 3, 2008
    Axton, VA
    Ours were together for the first time today also. They are 2 weeks apart in age but they did better than I expected. Mr. BarBQ let little Tigger know that he is in charge of the coop. But other than one of the hens chasing another little one thats about it. They were really funny to watch.
    Have you given them broccoli yet. It will take a few minutes for them but afterwards they will gang up on it. It funny. They try to carry the whole piece away from the others. [​IMG]

Hope yours keep doing well together.

3. Henrietta23

Henrietta23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2007
    Eastern CT
    So far so good. The BOs head for the opposite end of the pen whenever the Welsummers head toward them. It's funny how they are keeping themselves somewhat segregated in their original groups. But they're getting on well enough that I don't think I'll have to pull anybody out. [​IMG]

4. Acre of Blessings

Apr 3, 2008
    Axton, VA
    That's so funny, mine are doing the exact same thing. It's like they say "YOu got you end, we got ours". So funny.

5. NurseNettie

NurseNettie Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2008
    Northern Maine
    So, where's the pictures?

6. Acre of Blessings

Apr 3, 2008
    Axton, VA
    Well I have some but I can't take any new ones, b/c our digital camera died.

Her are a couple pics I found............................
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by