They're ba-a-a-ck!! Do they have to "ramp up" again

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by DeeTee, Mar 6, 2009.

1. DeeTee

DeeTee Out Of The Brooder

Oct 1, 2008
    Desbarats, Ontario
    Huzzah! After taking a couple of months off, my three hybrid layers have begun laying again!!
    The Delawares and Black Sex Links kept right on laying through the winter. Now, instead of 4 or 5 eggs a day I am back to getting 7 or 8 which means I can go back to selling some to pay for feed.

Here's a question though: I can tell (by color and texture) which eggs are from the three hybrids, who are nearly two years old. The Dellies and BSLs are not a year old yet. I notice that the eggs from the hybrids are very thin shelled. Is it possible that since they were not laying for two months they didn't eat any calcium?

The hens all get layer crumbles plus oyster shell free choice in a separate hopper.

Anyone else seen this?

2. riderbecky

riderbecky Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    Ottawa Valley
    I read in a thread here some time ago that the amount of shell that is used or usef per egg stays the same through out a hens life. This was in regards to a quesion about how thick shelled a pullet egg is compared to a large egg laid by a mature hen. Are your hybrids eggs bigger than they were previously? Are they (the eggs) bigger than your Delawares and BSL's?

Otherwise I wouldn't worry about it. Just make sure they have access to the oyster shell and that are otherwise eating, drinking and in general good health.

3. DeeTee

DeeTee Out Of The Brooder

Oct 1, 2008
    Desbarats, Ontario
    The hybrids' eggs are larger than the others' and always have been, although the others are catching up as they get older.

Th hybrids have laid five eggs between them since they resumed, and two of them have been thin shelled. Maybe the thin shelled thing was just a result of them resuming after a layoff...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by