They're Big, They're Beautiful..... and I'm not Sure What the Heck They Are!?!?!

cajuncluckerswla

Songster
May 21, 2020
Since the hurricanes all kind of strange things have happened, but this one here is downright comical. These two roosters have decided that they really dig our place and just sauntered on into the yard and made themselves at home. One roosts by the house in the big oak tree and the other goes to the front corner to perch. They act like they've always been here! We talked to all the neighbors and found out that a friend of one of them had ordered what was supposed to be all pullets from a breeder who had imported them, and they ended up with a pair of boys in the bunch...... so they came out and released them to join the neighbor's menagerie (goats, a couple chickens, dogs and cats)..... except they don't dig their ladies and landscape as much as ours.

Make no mistake....... we're keeping both of them. I've got a couple rough and rude BOs that are tearing the girls up that the new boys will make wonderful replacements for. I've never seen a buff that behaves like an agressive RIR. They've punctured/ ripped skin while mounting and spend all day terrorizing all the girls. They're not the kind of bloodlines I intend to keep around here at all. (We've got almost 20 ladies to them alone so it's not for lack of options)

Temperment of both is super chill, laid back and they don't get worked up about anything. They're gentle and court the hens, but they're big bodied. The girls kind of tolerate them but they're still pretty intimidated. I intend to get them some bigger ladies to court but I'd suuurreeeee like to know what breed they are. They weigh every bit of 9 pounds each.... one I'd peg closer to 10-11 pounds. They fly decently for their size too and roost about 6-10 foot up in the trees at night.

We've had our fair share of abandoned dogs and cats dropped off out here, but abandoned roosters is definitely a new one for the books.

Help me out hive mind!!!! WHAT IN TARNATION are these gorgeous boys!?!?!?!? The neighbor couldn't remember what the friend said they were.......
newbird1.jpg
newbird1.jpg
foot1.jpg
newbird3.jpg
newbird4.jpg
newbird2.jpg

Since the hurricanes all kind of strange things have happened, but this one here is downright comical. These two roosters have decided that they really dig our place and just sauntered on into the yard and made themselves at home. One roosts by the house in the big oak tree and the other goes to the front corner to perch. They act like they've always been here! We talked to all the neighbors and found out that a friend of one of them had ordered what was supposed to be all pullets from a breeder who had imported them, and they ended up with a pair of boys in the bunch...... so they came out and released them to join the neighbor's menagerie (goats, a couple chickens, dogs and cats)..... except they don't dig their ladies and landscape as much as ours.

Make no mistake....... we're keeping both of them. I've got a couple rough and rude BOs that are tearing the girls up that the new boys will make wonderful replacements for. I've never seen a buff that behaves like an agressive RIR. They've punctured/ ripped skin while mounting and spend all day terrorizing all the girls. They're not the kind of bloodlines I intend to keep around here at all. (We've got almost 20 ladies to them alone so it's not for lack of options)

Temperment of both is super chill, laid back and they don't get worked up about anything. They're gentle and court the hens, but they're big bodied. The girls kind of tolerate them but they're still pretty intimidated. I intend to get them some bigger ladies to court but I'd suuurreeeee like to know what breed they are. They weigh every bit of 9 pounds each.... one I'd peg closer to 10-11 pounds. They fly decently for their size too and roost about 6-10 foot up in the trees at night.

We've had our fair share of abandoned dogs and cats dropped off out here, but abandoned roosters is definitely a new one for the books.

Help me out hive mind!!!! WHAT IN TARNATION are these gorgeous boys!?!?!?!? The neighbor couldn't remember what the friend said they were.......View attachment 2582348View attachment 2582348View attachment 2582349View attachment 2582350View attachment 2582351View attachment 2582353
They look like Wyandotte mixes.

If the other ones are tearing the hens up yep they gotta go... straight into the soup pot IMO. If these guys are gentle then that;s the way to go. Im sure the ladies will appreciate it too, even if they need to exercise to hold them up for the 5 seconds it takes ! :)

I help out at a farm, and the rooster was fairly ..behaved, but once they came of age and stared laying, he wants to attack me when I walk in there to give them snacks. He got his ass booted a few times and we have an understanding sort of that if he EVER comes at me again Ill beat him with a broom handle. He keeps his distance but the attitude is getting worse.

The hens that were there first, before the 4 new girls, are not in good shape either, they have a big bare spot on their backs from him, and some scratches / blood.

If that gets infected it could spell real trouble for the girls. No you don't need a rooster thats abusive to anyone.

Aaron

If the other ones are tearing the hens up yep they gotta go... straight into the soup pot IMO. If these guys are gentle then that;s the way to go. Im sure the ladies will appreciate it too, even if they need to exercise to hold them up for the 5 seconds it takes ! :)

I help out at a farm, and the rooster was fairly ..behaved, but once they came of age and stared laying, he wants to attack me when I walk in there to give them snacks. He got his ass booted a few times and we have an understanding sort of that if he EVER comes at me again Ill beat him with a broom handle. He keeps his distance but the attitude is getting worse.

The hens that were there first, before the 4 new girls, are not in good shape either, they have a big bare spot on their backs from him, and some scratches / blood.

If that gets infected it could spell real trouble for the girls. No you don't need a rooster thats abusive to anyone.

Aaron
Exactly. They're both terrified of me, thankfully, but they're absolute terrors to the ladies. The pot has their name on it for sure.

Help me out hive mind!!!! WHAT IN TARNATION are these gorgeous boys!?!?!?!? The neighbor couldn't remember what the friend said they were.......View attachment 2582348View attachment 2582348View attachment 2582349View attachment 2582350View attachment 2582351View attachment 2582353
I don't have a clue, but your not kidding about those boys being beasts! Gorgeous!

They actually really look like my copper black marans except there's no feathered feetsies.

Attachments

• 20210817_180619.jpg
    20210817_180619.jpg
    452.7 KB · Views: 2
  • 20210817_180630.jpg
    20210817_180630.jpg
    634.9 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom