They're Bigger, Badder, and Better. The best protein for chickens!

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Pet Duck Boy, Aug 14, 2010.

1. Pet Duck Boy

Pet Duck Boy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2009
    Orlando, FL
    I've had my colony of Blaptica dubia for 3 years to breed for my lziards, and a few months ago I fed my beardies heavily with the roaches, so I didn't have enough to spare for the girls I recently got. But after an explosion of babies due to the heat I have a few thousand, so lately my girls have been getting several roaches per day, and I can say I've never seen them happier to see me. Unlike the pest roaches, Blaptica dubia does not climb smooth surfaces, is slow moving, can't fly, won't bite, doesn't smell, and won't breed when kept under 80 degrees. Another upside, they are good sized. About 2-3 inches when full grown and unlike mealworms or crickets, they are PACKED with protein. Over 30% per adult roach. They breed fast once a colony gets going. I don't know why I didn't think of it sooner to feed the girls these! And no, these aren't for the squemish. But I can say I do enjoy checking in with the colonies progress every few days, sometimes I even hold the calm "little" guys. And if I've finally convinced you, visit TheRoachGuy.com. He sells these roaches at the best price, and can supply you with everything you need. You just need a bin. (Oh and he even ships to Florida!)

When I take the egg cartons out for cleaning, I can say there's a good 3 inches of roaches on the bottom. I feed them anything, but the roach chow from the site is the staple.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 11, 2010
  2. LindsayB

LindsayB Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2008
    Cypress, Texas
    You haven't convinced me. I spray the outside of my house so they DON'T get in!! lol! I can handle anything except roaches [​IMG] Its a very good idea though, I'm sure there are alot of people that would be willing to breed them. Just not me. [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 14, 2010
  3. hudsonhousechicks

hudsonhousechicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2010
    Austin
    Sick. Sick sick sick sick. But this is coming from a woman who raises worms in her kitchen. Red wigglers. To each his own. As long as it keeps your birds happy then keep 'em coming!

4. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

[​IMG] Another good reason to keep chickens - get rid of roaches...lol. I'm sure they are wonderful protein sources. So would this type of roach invade a house if a few escaped???? That would be my biggest concern [​IMG]

5. Pet Duck Boy

Dec 12, 2009
    Orlando, FL
    Quote:Good question, but no. These roaches are from a tropical enviorment, and need a warm and humid place to live. They won't breed under 80 degrees (I keep my colony at 95) and they die at 70. I understand these are roaches, which some people despise. [​IMG] I also should mention I clean this colony once a year. I take the egg cartons out, seperate adult roaches, and add the smell-less poo in a bucket in small holes in the bottom. I sift it through until it's all gone and nothing is left but babies. Also, if you look at the right food dish, below that up against the wall is a female with her ootheca exposed. These roaches give live birth and will air out the egg case every few days. Males have wings, females don't. If you like insects, these are interesting to watch.

6. artsyrobin

artsyrobin Artful Wings

Mar 1, 2009
    Muskogee OK
    they kindof remind me of what we used to call date beetles in southern california- so do they fly? or just a type of beetle???

7. Pet Duck Boy

Dec 12, 2009
    Orlando, FL
    Quote:Only males have wings, but they can't exactlly fly. If you drop one from above it might flutter down but that's it. I've only seen mine flutter around 10 times in this 3 year old colony. These are roaches, not beetles, and are only native to Guyana in South America.

8. eenie114

eenie114 Completly Hopeless

EEEEEWWW!! That's soooo gross!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. @~rosecityfarmgirl~@

@[email protected] Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2010
    Windsor
    Cool!
    My fiance would freak out if I started a colony - the chickens were the last straw! [​IMG]

10. SilkiesAndSuch

SilkiesAndSuch Silkie Daddy

Jan 27, 2010
    Mayo
    Awesome [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by