They're coming out of quarantine this weekend . . .

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by allisojo, Feb 9, 2009.

1. allisojo

allisojo Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2008
    Nuevo Mexico
    So, I got five more EEs about three weeks ago, and they're about twelve-weeks old now. I've had them separated for 24 days and plan on integrating them with my flock this weekend. Any suggestions on how to do it? My current flock consists of two 30-week-old pullets and five 22-week-old pullets. I've got a big run and a smallish hen house. Your suggestions and advice are very welcome. Thanks in advance.

2. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Have they been able to see each other? Just watch them carefully. First I put them in adjacent runs for around for a month I put mine together when they are about the same size. They will still establish their pecking order. I first let mine range together when my pullets were 15 weeks old but watched them carefully. I had two of my older hens pounce on some of the younger ones and even pull some feathers out. I put the aggressive ones in a separate run for a week where they could see the others. When I let them back out with the flock one was still a bit agressive. I happened to have a hose in my hand and when the older bird jumped on a younger one I gave her a shot of water from the hose and she got off and ran into the coop and didn't come out for awhile. The older birds still chase the younger ones but I haven't seen any real aggression lately. Some of my pullets have just started laying at 17 weeks. They are 18 weeks old now. There are pictures on my BYC Page.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by