They're CROWING!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Desirai, Jun 4, 2012.

1. Desirai

Desirai Songster

Oct 12, 2011
    Alabama
    AAAAWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's coming up a storm so I just got out of bed to go fill chicken food and water, and on my way to the pen I heard "HURRRRRRRRRRR"

I was like what the crap.

Then I heard, "URRR EEE URRrrrrrhhhh"

OMGOSH! So I run like a little school girl down to the pen and one of my roosters is straining his neck out, but no sound is coming out. So I'm like what?

I then realize, this is who is crowing, my Linda who is DEFINITELY a Lindo!

"URRR EE URRrrrrrrrrrr!"

[​IMG]

So I'm like awwww giggling like a fool and I turn and go back when I hear...

"URRRRRNNNNGGGGGHHHHH"

Starsky has his neck stretched out making a sad grunting squeak sound. I laughed so hard.

It was starting to rain so I had to hurry back to the house but while I was coming back he was practicing his URNGH noise. Hahahahahaha!!!!!

2. ladychicken&Ducklover

ladychicken&Ducklover Songster

May 21, 2011
    Champion, Michigan
    OMG..been there. [​IMG][​IMG]

I have a feeling that a few of my new "girls", might be crowers..ugh..

I had a white crested black polish that I had named Phyllis Diller, that a few weeks later I ended up naming Phil...

I tried everything...I would sit with him everyday and say things like " Think girly thoughts...eggs...the egg song ...say " Im a girl " over and over ", but it
    didnt work...lol..Of course I knew that wouldnt work..right?...lol
    [​IMG]

Arent they funny when they are learning to crow?

3. HEChicken

HEChicken Crowing

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    Aren't those first crows from the little guys hilarious? One winter morning I was out on my back deck watching my dogs do their thing when I heard a sound that got me worried - it sounded like one of my hens was choking and I was ready to race down to the coop to save her. But when I looked over the deck it was one of the 9-week-old boys trying out his voice for the first time!

4. Desirai

Desirai Songster

Oct 12, 2011
    Alabama
    they're funny and adorable!! I'm so mad that it's storming out there cause I want to record them!!

well it isn't "storming" but it's raining enough that I wouldn't want to take some expensive electronics out there

5. The reluctant chicken

The reluctant chicken In the Brooder

Jun 6, 2011
    Litchfield County
    I had 2 that crowed at 2 wks old and continued to crow every morning. They are now 12 wks old and we now have a third one crowing. The 2 initial ones were silkie/Cochin mix. My third one is a barnvelder. It's so funny watching them crow when they are so little.

6. aoxa

aoxa Crowing

Caught my partridge cochin cockerel crowing for the first time on Saturday! He looked like he was going to throw up.. and then.. ERRRROOOO. :gig His ducks were impressed. [​IMG]

7. Ilovemyduckies

Ilovemyduckies Songster

Feb 21, 2012
    Hmmm, my rooster is almost 4 months old (got him about a 1 1/2 weeks ago) and I haven't heard one crow from him. Maybe he is just a quiet roo (hopefully).

8. aoxa

aoxa Crowing

Mine usually don't crow before 6 months. I guess I'm lucky? :p

9. Hollytree10

Hollytree10 In the Brooder

Apr 27, 2012
    I am in Alabama too and the rain is spoiling my "acclimate the girls to the outside" plan. I am sure a few of mine are going to crow soon too---everyday I change my mind about how many hens I have. How old are they usually when they start to crow? Mine are 5 weeks and still make baby peeping noises...

10. The reluctant chicken

The reluctant chicken In the Brooder

Jun 6, 2011
    Litchfield County

I have 5 others who haven't uttered a sound...6 months is usually the norm. I think my other two had a shot of testosterone...or what ever the chicken equivalent to that is.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: