They're doomed, aren't they?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by iamcuriositycat, Sep 17, 2009.

1. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    I woke up this morning, went straight to the incubator to check on the eggs and... the temp was 77 degrees. Someone (probably my toddler) apparently unplugged it last night. This would have been Day 4. It's plugged back in, but I don't have much hope. [​IMG]

I'm so disappointed. I wish this had happened on a different hatch. These are the banties for my friend's little girl, for the laying flock. They found the eggs--it was a treasure. I don't know where I would get more banty eggs around here--the neighbors only have the one hen, and they never know where she's going to lay--and even if they did, I wouldn't feel right taking her eggs again--

[​IMG]

2. Little Ameraucana Mom

Little Ameraucana Mom Need Help, Can't stop hatching!!!

Jul 8, 2008
    Greencastle, In
    They could still be ok. Hens get off the nest to eat and drink. I had a hen that would go out in the yard for an hour or more, and her eggs still hatched. GOOD hatching vibes comeing your way. [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    If it's only day 4, they will probably be just fine. The hatch might be delayed by a day or so, but they will probably be okay. Try to hang on to day 10 and candle them then to see how things are. More than likely, they will be okay. [​IMG]

4. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Really???? It's okay for them to get cold early in incubation? I would be SOOO happy. Although, I did time it so that they would be hatching at a time when their little girl owner could be here, and late would mean she'd be in school--but still, late is better than never!

OOOhhhhhhhhhhh [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

And THANK YOU for the encouragement!

5. chickensioux

chickensioux Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    There was a post on here about some eggs that were accidentally refridgerated by a house sitter and they hatched.
    Good luck!!!

6. charsbird

charsbird Out Of The Brooder

Mar 4, 2009
    Vermont
    I agree with Gumpsgirl. Wait & candle them. I had a cochin bantam who roosted with her rooster one night early in the incubation. I was sure the hatch was ruined, but she went on to hatch 14 out of 14! [​IMG]

7. thecochincoop

thecochincoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Definately wait and candle. That is no different than the power going out and that will happen and eggs will still hatch. Don't give up yet. Wait and candle [​IMG]

8. gumpsgirl

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    Did I mention that they will probably be okay? [​IMG]

I just went back an re-read my post and sheesh! I just kept saying that didn't I?!?!

9. HBuehler

HBuehler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2009
    Lebanon TN
    I have several incubators going.Last week the only day I was gone all day the power went out-have a generator for those emergencies but no one was here. Bator in lockdown lost 34 chicks.Bator that was in the first week have now candled and only 1 had a blood ring and rest are doing fine so far.[​IMG] Another bator is hatching now and nearly every egg has pipped .
    You should be Ok just have the family chat about no one hubby kid or pet may get near the incubator or Mommy will get very [​IMG]

10. gumpsgirl

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    Quote:Yep! We have this chat here every time I plug my incubator in. I go through the graphic description of how if the incubator gets messed up it will kill all of the babies growing inside the eggs. A bit graphic I know, but it works! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by