They're Driving Me Nuts!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by superjules75, Oct 15, 2009.

1. superjules75

superjules75 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 5, 2009
    Austin, Texas
    So, my 23 week old pullets were victims of a dog attack. One died, another injured, another was fine. We've been nursing the injured one back to health. Her eye got hurt but no open wounds. She was almost recovered until my healthy ee started pecking her near the eye even though she has no bloody wounds. Now, she has a wound. I only have 2 right now, so I've put the healthy one in the dog cage I have in the garage. I think it will drive her nuts, but I feel like the injured one should have the most normal routine. Am I wrong? My dear husband is about going nuts over my "hobby" as he doesn't even like eggs but is tolerating the situation because he is kind. Does anyone have any suggestions on keeping the EE sane while in isolation? I think it could take up to a week to get the Buff Orp back to normal (I think she lost an eye, so not quite normal).

2. purpletree23

purpletree23 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2009
    Don't tell your husband I suggested this but I would get 2 more chickens. There are a lot out there that need good homes and just having 2 will only cause trouble. The one getting pecked and bullied will always get pecked and bullied.

1) Get more chickens*****Keep the new chickens in isolation for at least a month to make sure you aren't introducing any disease to your healthy flock. Be wary of anyone who has chickens cheap and don't buy anything that looks unhealthy although I know that is nearly impossible.

2)*******You could rehome your hens and try again next year.

If you decide to get more hens and you have too many eggs neighbors and co workers will usually gladly take them.

3. LittleMamaBigPapa

LittleMamaBigPapa Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Bellevue, Nebraska
    superjules75

If you can have one, get one Roo too. He will be at the top of the pecking order and could help protect your hens. My BO Roo tends to stand between my 4 girls. I have two small bantams who, believe it or not, sometimes pick on my bigger Buff Orps?? The Roo goes after them when they do. However, the Roo grew up with the BO girls, so it could be he is defending his sisters? Dont know if that helps???

4. superjules75

Oct 5, 2009
    Austin, Texas
    I am planning to get at least one more...that's why I bought the dog cage...for quarantine. I can't bring any home until I get the injured one healthy. So, how do I keep the quarantined one sane? Thanks!

5. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

There are things called Peepers - I have never used them - but have read about them on BYC. If you look up in the blue bar near the top of the page - use the search there (between "rules" and "my page") it is a fantastic search engine - just type in peepers.

Use of something like the peepers should/would allow you to keep your more agressive hen with the injured but not allow her to harm her.

Then your dog kennel is open for quarantine use again. [​IMG]

6. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    to keep her sane take her out and paly with her. Hold her, give her treats ad small playdates with the other one until she learns her manners.

7. Momo

Momo Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2008
    Nelson BC
  8. superjules75

Oct 5, 2009
    Austin, Texas
    How does she eat with the peeper on?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by