They're finally here

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by basicliving, May 20, 2008.

1. basicliving

basicliving Keepin' the sunny side up

Mar 20, 2008
    Shenandoah Valley, VA
    My chicks finally made it yesterday afternoon. Poor babies had quite a weekend - got stuck in the Northern VA post office over night on Sunday. Long story short - they were special delivered to Charlottesville - and then sent right away to Harrisonburg and I drove there to pick them up at 1:30 yesterday afternoon. They were all alive when I picked them up. McMurrays sent the free exotic - plus a free Phoenix rooster for some reason. So we ended up with 27, but one didn't make it through the night. It was a little leghorn. I cried and cried when I found her.

Here are a couple of pics of them in the brooder (the red tint is the heat lamp):

[​IMG]

And look at this little cutie!

[​IMG]

I just love every single one of them! They were making a racket around 2AM and when I checked I found them piling. I turned up the heat and they quieted right down. When I woke up they were silent - scared me to death! But when I checked I found them sprawled out all over the brooder sleeping. Cute, cute, CUTE!!!! I can't quit looking at them!

Penny

2. mmajw

mmajw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2008
    Maine
    Congrats on your babies...

Do you have a thermometer in with them?
    You may want to so you can control the temp without cooking them.

They look Fabulous and I love the curious one.

3. basicliving

basicliving Keepin' the sunny side up

Mar 20, 2008
    Shenandoah Valley, VA
    I just love them. Yes - I have a thermometer in there with them. It reads right at 95 and they stay right underneath the heat lamp. I think they are cold natured!

One is not doing well at all. I just put her in a little box by herself. I think I'll post a question about how to handle a sick baby on the forum to see what other say.

Penny

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by