They're finally slowing down

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Southern28Chick, Dec 6, 2007.

1. Southern28Chick

Southern28Chick Flew The Coop

Apr 16, 2007
    It only took a couple of gray days for my girls to get the point that it's winter.

Yesterday I got 17 eggs and today I got 7 regular size and 1 double yolker. That's more like it! I've been drowning in eggs and the only customer I have is an elderly man from down the street.

Are y'all girls letting up on the laying yet?

2. joanc

joanc Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2007
    Shafer, MN
    Maybe yesterday was the last best day for mine too. Yesterday I got 16 eggs, today only 9. I knew they would slow down at some point.

3. 1acrefarm

1acrefarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2007
    Georgia
    My hens are going pretty slow. My ducks are pumping eggs out like there is no tomorrow.

4. OHChick

OHChick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2007
    mine have slowed down a lot as well, which is fine by me. i was getting over a dozen a day and while i'm trying to build up my customer base, that's just too much!

yesterday we got about 6" of snow, that was their first experience with that.... needless to say they are NOT happy, so i foresee them punishing me with even fewer eggs. but that's cool. [​IMG]

5. Frozen Feathers

Frozen Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2007
    Maine
    Mine at pretty much at a standstill... [​IMG] except for the Silkies. Not enough light for them. Gotta get my light in, I've been so slack this year. [​IMG]

6. chickUP

chickUP Out Of The Brooder

May 15, 2007
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Don't get too excited yet. My girls only gave me 3 eggs on Tuesday but then on Wednesday and today they were back up to full capacity. 6 hens = 6eggs

7. poppycat

poppycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2007
    If I lived closer I'd buy some from you. I'm getting about one or two a week from seven girls.

8. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    I had been getting an average of 10 a day from my 13 hens right up until cold weather, not it varies from 9 - 3 a day.

9. devora

devora Chillin' With My Peeps

We have five California Girls and we're still getting 4 or 5 eggs a day. I'm w/ ya on the overproduction bit, they can take a break any time! (But I still am like a little kid going daily to get eggs. "Wow, a five egg day!") What troupers our gals are, still givin' it up for us on these short days!

10. johnnyjack

johnnyjack Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2007
    usa
    only got 3 hens now im getting 2 a day .they will skip aday every once in awhile. 2 black jg and 1 andalusian. i miss my leghorns.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by