They're getting so big!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by cindyanne1, May 5, 2009.

1. cindyanne1

cindyanne1 Mother Goose

Apr 19, 2009
    Central Ohio
    Here are a few of my chickies, already roosting like big girls!!

[​IMG]

These are two white Leghorns that I believe are about four weeks old (I got them April 8) and a Red Star that I think is around three weeks old (purchased April 16.)

They look a lot different than the little fuzzballs they were just a short time ago!

Last edited: May 5, 2009
  2. Domestic_goddess

Domestic_goddess Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2009
    Utah
    They are adorable......They look a little older then 3-4 weeks, but it's hard to tell in that pictures. I have some around 9 weeks and getting so big too:)Good luck!

3. cindyanne1

cindyanne1 Mother Goose

Apr 19, 2009
    Central Ohio
    Thank you!!! [​IMG]

Yes they may be a bit older than that... I'm not sure exactly how old they were when I got them because I got them from TSC. There are pics on my page of them that I took right after I got them... little fuzzies!! [​IMG]

4. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    They grow so fast. [​IMG]

5. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

is there a difference in a red sexlink and a red star?

I got mine from TSC too and I think they hatched around April 10th.

Anyways, does this one look like yours?

[​IMG] I was thinking she was a red sexlink

6. Just gotta love the little ones. When they find the roost and the great outdoors they are big chickens. Thanks for this pix

7. cindyanne1

cindyanne1 Mother Goose

Apr 19, 2009
    Central Ohio
    Quote:No, no difference. [​IMG] They are the same thing. When hubby bought them from TSC he said they were called Red Sex-Links. I looked them up and they are a hybrid between a Leghorn and a Rhode Island Red. The female chicks will have reddish stripes on them when they are babies and the males will be lighter and more evenly yellow (hence, the sex-link; the chicks are different colors based on sex.) The actual breed, however, is called Red Star. There are also Black Stars, which are crosses between a Barred Rock and... uhhh... I forget, lol. [​IMG]

But yeah... same thing. [​IMG] I've also seen them with their "full" name of Red Star Sex Links.

Yours is a cutie!! I thought mine would never get reddish feathers, though! They were all getting feathered in white and I was thinking OMG what are these things, lol!! Then finally they all started to show a bit of reddish color. Whew!

8. Jen4

Jen4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2008
    Munfordville, KY
    They are Beautiful [​IMG]

9. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    Great pic. Even though they're at that awkward stage, they're still so darn cute!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by