They're getting so FAT!!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Bleenie, May 26, 2010.

1. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

3 days ago I talked to a neighbor, They had rescued a pair of ducks and momma started laying & brooding right away and hatched out lots of cuties. Mom is Rouen & dad is Pekin. I went over and picked up 5 of them, they kept 2, and the rest were going to a special child. They were in a good sized pen with plenty of grass to forrage but they did get feed too(no idea what kind).

They were 2 weeks when i got them and I have only had them 3 days but MAN!! they have gotten to be such fat little things! I am just amazed how heavy they now look in the chest & underbelly!

I have raised Pekins before but never Rouens..i never noticed this 'heaviness' with pekin ducklings so does this come more from the Rouen side? I did not see dad up close so maybe he was a Jumbo Pekin??

they're just so fat now! [​IMG]

2. maralynn28

maralynn28 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2010
    Corpus Christi, TX
    Yeah, that's one thing I noticed about rouen, they are REAL low to the ground. lol

3. keeperofthehearth

keeperofthehearth Chillin' With My Peeps

Pic's of the fatties!!!!! [​IMG]

4. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Rouens were the original meat duck before Pekins took over. So yeah, you are going to have some little chunkers on your hands!

5. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

Here they are 2 days ago:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

TODAY, look at that belly, its so droopy already!
    [​IMG]

The boys are obviously bigger than the girls (and i think i have 3 boys) but i am still in awe..i thought my Muscovies were fatties [​IMG]

Last edited: May 26, 2010
  6. AmyinNC

AmyinNC Out Of The Brooder

Apr 20, 2010
    Eastern, NC
    Oh they are all so cute....chubbiness included [​IMG]

7. Red Maple Farms

Red Maple Farms Wish Granted

Feb 25, 2010
    NE Wisconsin
    I don't really see it yet. However, are you planning for it to look like this guy here? This duck is an eight pounder.

[​IMG]

8. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

I think i got one of the girls in that last pic but, I couldnt get a great pic of them, they're still pretty shy of people. I don't plan on eating them, they'll just be pets and i will have to rehome the boys later on, unless i change my mind [​IMG] . I think my mom may want 1-2ducks so she might take 2 boys.

I noticed that they pant a lot. they have plenty of water but they will lay under the light & pant. wouldnt they move if they were too warm??

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by