They're going outside soon.

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by BirdsInParadise, Jun 8, 2016.

1. BirdsInParadise

BirdsInParadise Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2016
    Hey, all! Im finally done with my coop and will be moving my 2 Silkies outside this weekend.
    Questions...
    How big shooud their nesting boxes be? I was also told to keep them in their coop/run area for a couple weeks before letting them free range. Does this sound correct? And also, do the birds need light IN THE COOP at night? They will be going from having a light on 24/7 to darkness at night. Is this ok? Do i need water/food IN THE COOP? Do i lock the coop at night so they cant access the run? Will they leave the coop at night to access food water that is in the run, if need be and i leave the slider open?

So many questions, i know...

Thank you for any and all replies.!

2. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

3. BirdsInParadise

May 9, 2016
    OOPS...

I thought i was posting this elsewhere...

Sorry.

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Silkies and free ranging usually mean - easy lunch for predators. They will be much safer in an enclosed run with top.

5. BirdsInParadise

May 9, 2016
    I see. Perhaps they will just free range when one of us is "on duty." LoL.
    Thanks for the tip!

6. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    To answer your other questions - I believe nest box size for standard chickens would be 12"x12" or so. Not sure about Silkies. A week or two should be sufficient to reset their little chicken brains to know that the coop/run. They do not need light in the coop at night. They probably will appreciate the natural light/dark times of the day. Food/water in the coop is fine, or not - everyone has their own opinions on that. I have them both places. They will not attempt to access the run at night. When chickens go to roost and it's dark out, they don't do much other than breathe and poop. You are the only one who can decide if the door between coop and run. I leave my pop door open at night. I'm comfortable that the run is secure from our main predators. A weasel could get in, but not much else. I leave that door open so they can go outside when they wake up in the morning (which is MUCH earlier than I get up) and hang out until I let them out to free range.

7. BirdsInParadise

May 9, 2016
    THANK YOU, BOBBI!

Its go time for these birds!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by