1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

They're going outside soon.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by BirdsInParadise, Jun 8, 2016.

1. BirdsInParadise

BirdsInParadise Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2016
    Hey, all! Im finally done with my coop and will be moving my 2 Silkies outside this weekend.
    Questions...
    How big shooud their nesting boxes be? I was also told to keep them in their coop/run area for a couple weeks before letting them free range. Does this sound correct? And also, do the birds need light IN THE COOP at night? They will be going from having a light on 24/7 to darkness at night. Is this ok? Do i need water/food IN THE COOP? Do i lock the coop at night so they cant access the run? Will they leave the coop at night to access food water that is in the run, if need be and i leave the slider open?

So many questions, i know...

Thank you for any and all replies!

2. Poultry parent

Poultry parent Chillin' With My Peeps

the nesting boxes should be about 1'x1'.
    it would be best to keep them in the run for a little while so they know that's their home.
    they don't need light in the coop.
    i would keep them in the coop at night so no predators can get them. i have food in my coop so it doesn't get rained on, i also have 2 waterers 1 in the coop and 1 outside the coop

3. SueT

SueT Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2015
    SW MO
    BirdsInParadise,
    YES YOU SHOULD LOCK THE COOP AT NIGHT. They will be sleeping and won't need food and water as long as you are letting them out early in the morning. And don't leave food out in the run overnight to attract predators.
    What age are these chickens?
    They don't need light at night, or are you talking about warmth? There are non-light sources of warmth if they are too young and it is too cold where you live.
    As for your other questions, hopefully some silkie people will answer those....

Last edited: Jun 8, 2016
  4. Poultry parent

silkies are very vulnerable to predators since they can't see as well as other chickens

5. BirdsInParadise

May 9, 2016
    Thanks!
    Will the birds go in at night of their own accord? The virds are 5 weeks strong. The weather here is GORGEOUS (So Cal).

6. Poultry parent

most birds will but some need to be put in at first so they get used to it

7. BirdsInParadise

May 9, 2016
    Thank you!

8. Poultry parent

you're welcome! good luck with the chickens!

9. SueT

SueT Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2015
    SW MO
    BirdsInParadise, if they are 5 wks old, why not shut off the light now while they are still indoors. Get them used to normal day-night transitions. And yes, they'll go inside on their own when the sun sets, as long as they are oriented to their new situation.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2016
  10. BirdsInParadise

May 9, 2016
    Ok. I was under the impression they needed light until 6 weeks.
    Lights will go off now.
    Thanks for the info/reply!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by