They're gone... :(

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by AmberH, Jul 17, 2010.

1. AmberH

AmberH Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2010
    My birds free ranged during the day and were put up at night. That's how it's always been. They got to the point where so flighty that I couldn't catch them. I usually easily herded them in to their pen and house. I went out one morning and my favorite Cochin hen was gone (avatar pic). I freaked out! I didn't find any feathers. I tried and tried that night to catch them. I even got a fishing net out. No good. I went out after dark and tried to find where they roosted. No good either. The next morning, my second Cochin was gone. This time I found a trail of feathers leading into the woods. But they stopped right before the tree line. I spent most of the day shooing them into their pen. I got four of the remaining birds into their home. My favorite little pullet and two Muscovy ducks were left running loose. [​IMG]

The next morning I left on vacation and my aunt was taking care of the birds. I was pleased because most of them were put up. I wasn't going to lose anymore. That's what I thought....

I got a phone call the next morning that all the birds that were in their house were gone. No feathers left behind at all. I cried and cried. I thought they were safe in their home. But they weren't. My aunt said that she thought she saw some muddy foot prints. By the time I got home a week later, they were so smudged that I couldn't tell what they belonged to or if they were even foot prints at all. While I was gone, my cousin caught my little pullet, Ophelia. He couldn't get the Muscovies. But they are still alive. Ophelia is at his house. They are protected by a bunch of dogs. The ducks are still at large. I can't catch them. They either fly away or swim into the middle of the pond. I'm really worried. I'm really scared to get any more birds. I'm scared to bring my baby Ophelia home. I'm in the process of reinforcing their pen and house. They've been gone for more than a week... I still feel like crying when I think of them.

2. gamebirdsonly

gamebirdsonly Overrun With Chickens

Mar 5, 2007
    UTAH
    Sorry for loss. It sucks [​IMG]

3. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Consider placing traps--but you need some bait. Would you be willing to securely cage (very small openings) one of your remaining birds and put that cage in a larger live trap?

4. AmberH

AmberH Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2010
    My cousin does have a bunch of live traps. He said he brought one over. I just got back so I'm not sure what all he's done or caught. I haven't talked to him yet. I do know the pullet that he took is in good condition and excited to be back with her sister.

5. mommyofthree

mommyofthree Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2010
    I'm so sorry, that's awful!! [​IMG] I agree that maybe you should set some live traps. And definitely reinforce the coop and pen!! If your chickens will go back in their coop at night and it's secure, you shouldn't have to worry about them. Hopefully you can get some more in the near future.

6. br64

br64 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 21, 2010
    Amber, I'm so sorry about your loss.

7. mgw

mgw Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Eastern Wa.
    Quote:I agree with mom3 reinforce coop & try tocatch pred. Then you should try again. sorry for your troubles.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by