They're Gonna Start Laying Soon!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chicklover16, Jul 6, 2011.

1. chicklover16

chicklover16 queen of flirts

Jun 3, 2011
    Em's Dungeon
    My hens are 21 weeks, 1 day, 6 hours, and 28 minutes minutes old (that's the exact age of one set of hens, not the multiple ages of several hens) and I'm going NUTS waiting for my first egg [​IMG] I'm so exited! are there any specific signs to look for that will tell me when they're getting close?

P.S. did I already say that I was REALLY, REALLY, EXITED!!!!!

2. Moonkit

Moonkit Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2011
    Richardson, Texas
    Watch their combs, they should turn a bright red. Also, watch for hens squatting for no reason, spending time investigating the nextbox, etc..

3. mommto3kiddos

mommto3kiddos Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2011
    Mine started squatting noticeably and within 3 days we had eggs.. Now I have 4 more squatting and I got an extra egg this morning, so someone else started laying.. [​IMG]

4. hisdaughter

hisdaughter Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2011
    Lakeland
    Not sure if this is true or not, but someone told me to look at their vents (sounds very personal) If they are open and wet, then they are getting ready to lay eggs.( now it sounds really personal) Anyone else look? And is this really an indecator?

5. chicklover16

Jun 3, 2011
    Em's Dungeon
    I'm SO exited, they have been squatting LOTS lately for no reason at all, and yesterday I found one of my girls just sitting in a nest box. [​IMG]

6. Moonkit

Moonkit Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2011
    Richardson, Texas
    Do you have decoy eggs in the nestboxes to give them the idea?

7. chicklover16

Jun 3, 2011
    Em's Dungeon
    Quote:yup [​IMG]

8. Animalian

Animalian Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2011
    Australia
    Yaay being eggcited for eggs is eggcellent!! [​IMG]
    I still have three at least three weeks to wait till my new girls start *jealous*

9. This_chicks_place

This_chicks_place Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2011
    Upstate NY
    I'm right there with you![​IMG] I have 18 week old girls who have been allowing Mr. Rooster to do his business for three days now. Wooden eggs in the nest, they have been checking out the boxes for days now. I think I will explode with all the anticipation [​IMG] How much longer must i wait?????? Arrgghh!

Last edited: Jul 6, 2011
  10. CarolJ

CarolJ Dogwood Trace Farm

Jun 3, 2011
    Middle Tennessee
    20 weeks, 2 days here - several have very red combs and wattles - haven't seen any of them near the nest boxes, though. Several of mine have been squatting. I guess they'll start laying eggs when they're ready. I'm probably stressing them out by checking the nest boxes so often each day.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by