They're hatching a day early! Advice needed...UPDATE: 14 hatched!

peeppeeppeep

In the Brooder
10 Years
Apr 10, 2009
Shasta County
So I got up this morning to find lots of pips and one hatch. Another trying to get out but kind of hanging limp (is this normal?) over the egg carton. A third just hatched and is still trying to get out of the egg.

Since they are all hatching a day early I figured my temperature gauge must be wrong so I got out a more sensitive thermometer and sure enough the temp was over 101. (I know I should have had it in all along but didn't want to leave the hole open for the probe.)

So now I've reduced the temp to get it back down to around 100.5 - but I'm wondering should I have done this? Or will I cause more problems by lowering the temp at this point? Oh this is so nerve-wracking!!!

On the upside, every one of my shipped blue marans has pipped and two of them are the ones that are out or nearly out.

Last edited:
I had an early hatch once, they all did fine. It was only a day early, out of 42 eggs all but 5 hatched.

Leave it alone, if they are starting to hatch, there is nothing that lowering the temp now will do, just leave the bator closed, and wait.

This happened to me too. Babies were suppose to hatch today, but 4 hatched yesterday, still waiting on another 4 to hatch. The ones that hatched early are all doing well..eating, drinking, & lots of sleeping. Good Luck

everything is fine i have even had some hatch on day 19 and they lived perfectly healthy, of course they were bantams so that might be why they hatched early, but i say if they are hatching out fine no nee dot change anything, just make sure you watch on the eggs that are pipped and zipped if the membrane starts looking to white and dry, then its time to up your humidity, well on another note any pics of these new additions?

Well we have 12 out of 30 hatched (7 blue marans, 2 welsummers, 1 ee, and 2 black star/ee mix) and a couple more zipped and probably out later tonight. NONE of my black copper marans has even pipped yet but I am hoping that is because the eggs are bigger and tougher. Tomorrow is only day 21 anyway!

I left the heat lowered a little but I swear I am going crazy with the thermometer. The spot check one that is supposed to be so accurate is all over the place. I know I should just leave the temperature alone but when the one reads 102 I am worried!

The humidity seems to be high enough as there is condensation on the windows - not a lot just a little. Some of the chicks are taking a while to struggle out of the shells but I guess that is normal, right? The one who was lying limp most of the day finally made it out!! Hurrray!

Maybe I will get pics tomorrow when I move some to the brooder. For now I am just leaving that box closed up tight as it seems like that is the main advice at this point.

We are all so thrilled with our first hatch. I think this may be too much stress for me, though! Thanks for the advice, all!

Well, the bad news is only 14 out of 30 hatched. Good news is we have 14 healthy fluff balls. Not one Black Copper Marans hatched though every blue marans from the same seller hatched. Better luck next time I guess.

Here are my fuzzybutts:

8ca361784d2bf424e75133e4ad70bb7763fdec46.jpg

Back
Top Bottom