They're hatching! (More Pics), Medicated Feed for Button Quail Chicks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by kelseygirl707, May 16, 2009.

1. kelseygirl707

kelseygirl707 Dances with Chickens

Mar 3, 2009
    Lakeport, Ca.
    Ok, so I went to the feed store yesterday to buy starter feed for my Buttons I'm hoping will hatch this weekend. I talked to the Owner of the feed store, I told him I was hatching button quail and needed a chick starter with 25%-30% Protein, He told me he would sell me Nutrena Nature wise pheasant and turkey starter with 27% protein, that it was perfect for button quail, so I bought a small bag. As I was leaving I was reading the little fact sheet for it and it said it was medicated with Amprol, so I went back in and asked if it was Ok for buttons. He assured me it was, and when I told him that I had read that because of their size the medication was not good, he assured me that it would be fine, that there was such a small amount of medication, that it wouldn't be a problem. Now I really like this guy, I have been going to him for everthing I need regarding hatching, and he sounded very confident in his knowledge, but I have also read on here that medicated feed is bad for buttons. So should I find non medicated?

Last edited: May 17, 2009
  2. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    I have heard that too, but medicated with what? Amprol is for coccidiosis (sp?) and Buttons don't usually get it. Medicated chick starter has something else in it. I feed gamebird grower, which is 25% protein, and they do just fine. I don't think the Amprol will hurt them, but I would be hesitant to take a chance.

3. kelseygirl707

Mar 3, 2009
    Lakeport, Ca.
    It says it's only medicated with Amprol, and the store owner told me that Amprol was jusr for coccidiosis, and would not hurt the button babies, I just want to be sure, I would feel horrible if I accidently hurt them.

By the way Mrs. AK-Bird-Brain, these eggs are from the birds your son got from his 4-H Project, I hope they hatch, I'm so excited, I had definate veining in the first week (I could only see into a few of the lighter ones), so I should get some babies.

4. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    Quote:[​IMG] Yay!! [​IMG]

5. kelseygirl707

Mar 3, 2009
    Lakeport, Ca.
    Anybody else have advice on this subject? [​IMG]

6. kelseygirl707

Mar 3, 2009
    Lakeport, Ca.
    OK, They are hatching 1 is out, several more are pipped. I was sitting here in my office whining to hubby on the phone, that the eggs weren't even rocking when I heard a strange shound, much defferent than the sounds my 2 week old Chickens make, so I checked and 1 was already out, I had just checked like 5 minutes before, and nothing was happening! [​IMG]

So any help on wether turkey starter with amprol is ok for button babies would be much appriciated!

[​IMG]

And here is the new baby next to a duck egg, LOL.
    [​IMG]

7. Polish Chickens

Polish Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2009
    Houston
    They're just so adorable and cute even after they dry out

8. citalk2much

citalk2much Twilight Blessings Farm

Dec 22, 2008
    GR MI: TN bound!
    I do not think I would use it.
    Cute little button you have there can't wait to see more pictures.
    Oh and don't forget to grind the food.

9. rinnith

rinnith Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2009
    Pittsburgh pa
    not sure about the medication i know turkey feed is very good for them....

these arn't the ones you got from me are they?
    (i don't think they can hatch this soon...)

10. kelseygirl707

Mar 3, 2009
    Lakeport, Ca.
    Quote:No, these are tester eggs I got from Mrs. AK-Bird-Brain a couple of weeks ago, your still have close to 2 weeks to go, lol.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by