They're hatching! **PIC** post 8, post 21

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by jdywntr, Dec 4, 2012.

1. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    My muscovy hen has been sitting for what seems like forever. I was getting worried since I was expecting them to hatch Sunday at the latest.

I went out this morning to bring her some food and saw 2 little babies. They both had yellow heads and one had some coloring on its tail but I didn't see what color. Mom is chocolate pied (I guess) and dad is a white head and mostly black.[​IMG]

I ran inside to get a camera and of course by the time I got back out they were back under mom. So there are 20 more eggs under her. I know they won't all hatch. But I'm hoping for a good amount.

I'll post pics when I can get some.

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Good luck. [​IMG]

3. CammieSilkie

CammieSilkie Out Of The Brooder

Jul 29, 2010
    Massachusetts
    One time I had a hen sitting on 15, and all of them hatched, later than I expected though. You never know what could happen! Good luck!!

4. jdywntr

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    Well, at least 3 have hatched out so far but mom won't let me look and I don't want to stress her right now. The only picture I got was of a little yellow wing sticking out from under mom. [​IMG] Looks like the hatchlings are staying in the back of the nest behind mom.

5. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    So exciting, looking forward to pics when you can. it maybe a few days, seems like mine would wait till about day 3 before bringing them out for all to see.

6. jdywntr

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    Well, this is the best I could come up with today. Those are some cute little butts though. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

At last count there were 5, I think. I was judging by tails sticking out on this side of mom since I can't see the other side. I am planning on keeping my camera handy since first thing this morning (when I didn't have my camera) the first 2 were sitting right in the doorway of the nest. Hopefully tomorrow but we'll see.

7. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    precious

8. jdywntr

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    12!!!

[​IMG]

Most are yellow or yellow with the black butt and head spot. No typical muscovy masks or eye stripes.

I only took 1 pic because I had just been messing with them. I smelled a distinctive rotten odor this morning so I figured it was time to check and remove any eggs. It looked like maybe 5 of the eggs had fully/almost fully developed but I think the cold and too many eggs did them in. But I'm very happy with 12.

I'll get more pics when I can but for now I'm letting them settle back in.

9. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    That is just so precious, like okay lets all hide our faces and that giant will not see us. Then of course they have to have a look out. Congrats thats a great hatch!

10. jdywntr

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    Thanks. Mom was trying to attack me while I was taking out the old eggs and most of the shells. I was worried the babies would get cold another reason I didn't take more pics. I set them up with a brooder in the coop. Babies were all under the light with mom huddling over them.

I'm over for some starter now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by