They're hatching... PICS on pg2

lemurchaser

Songster
11 Years
Apr 11, 2008
Corvallis, OR
I set 24 eggs on June 1st just after midnight, so today is day 21. 18 made it to day 18.

So far I have 9 chicks, one part way out, 1-2 pips, and the rest havent done anything. The local mutt eggs are hatching like crazy. Of the 6 BLRW eggs that made it to day 18, 1 has hatched and one is part way out (it isn't really doing anything anymore).

The local chicks are so cute they are in every color imaginable. I'll post some pics in a little bit.

Last edited:
I just went outside because one of my older chickens was making a racket, to discover one of the dogs had killed one of my barred rock pullets, Maude (13 weeks old). I was having so much fun sitting with my new babies, that I didn't hear a thing. I guess I let my guard down too much, they had all been doing so well together. I know better than that, it's my fault. I've been supervising them less and less, because there hasn't been a problem, especially since the chickens got older. But I should have known. You just want to be able to trust your dogs, but they didn't really do anything except follow their instincts. I think they were just playing with her (she wasn't chewed or eaten, just very broken).

I don't know who did it. When I went out, Oscar, the male dog, was laying next to her body. He could have done it, or he could have been upset over it and was sitting with her (he is that kind of dog). I wouldn't put it past either of my female dogs to do the killing.

They won't be left together unsupervised again. I guess I had to learn that lesson the hard way. Poor Maude.

So sorry to hear about your dog and your barred rock
sad.png
They are instinctual.
sad.png

I feel for you I had to rehome my Great Pryenees female because she liked chicken for dinner too much. I also had to rehome a cat that I dearly wanted to keep because she love to reach through and get babies right out of the pen. She was good at catching and eating so fast that she would have killed three before I could get her out. congrates on the new ones and sorry about the other

Congrats on the babes:) Sorry about the other chicken:( My dog killed my fave duck last night:( He got loose while the ducks were out playing in the pasture for awhile and before I could stop him the duck was already dead.

Congrats on the babies
jumpy.gif

Sorry about you chicken-I have bird dogs, and my GSP killed one of my hens a few months ago. Totally my fault-left the gate open.
sad.png

So sad.... Hopefully your post will help reminder readers of the tragedy that is risked when dogs and chickens (or any mostly ground dwelling bird) are unsupervised and that these heartbreaking happenings come to be a thing of the past.
JJ

12 chicks total now, 3 of which are BLRW's. I'm in love with a little mixed breed blue chick though. I'll post pics tonight.

The BLRW's are a lot weaker than the mixed breed chicks, and hatch a lot slower. It's interesting, the mixing of breeds obviously makes for a stronger chick. One of the mutts pipped, zipped and was running around in under 20 minutes, it was amazing.

Back
Top Bottom