They're here! Baby duckling pictures; come see the cuteness!

I would love to have some muscovy ducks, but I can't find them anywhere to order from. Every once in awhile there are some people on craigslist trying to sell some, but they are a good little stretch away from us.
J.M.Hatchery in Pa. sells Muscovy I see the ad in my Back yard Poultry mag. every month www.jmhatchery.com

Meyer hatchery also started selling them in their spring catalog. I've driven 2 hours each way to pick up ducklings. It is nice to be able to see the parent stock in person. Check on your state's thread. There is always all kinds of info on mine.

Thank you all so much. :) They sure are cute. I'm getting a bit worried though; they've been throwing up a lot and it's very confusing. It's just clear liquid and I thought it was a runny nose at first but now it seems like they're actually throwing up nearly constantly.
hmm.png
Perhaps it's because they're eating and drinking so much. They're crops are so full that when you touch them they throw up a bit. Otherwise they're doing well and becoming even more energetic. Has anyone else experienced this? I thought about taking them to the vet a while ago but now i think they might just be greedy.

Here's some more pictures. I added another clip to the beginning of the video too. :)

Quote: Is that unusual?
hide.gif
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] I had to set up these guys' brooder in my room -right next to my bed even- because it was the only place that wouldn't have cats. That's my excuse anyway.[/FONT]

Quote:
15! No fair! Well, I certainly have no hesitations about raising them in the house. Maybe if you start them all inside while they're tiny, in a few weeks you might be able to guess at their genders by their speech patterns and pick two supposed females to remain inside. I think I've read that you can start to tell by three weeks or so but I must confess that I haven't actually raised both sexes at the same time so I haven't tested it.

Quote:
I thought about 'scovies for a while but you're right -they're hard to find. Here's something from the Metzer Farms FAQ: "...we do not sell them as they do not ship well. With the typical shipping times, many of the ducklings perish... the renal system is not fully developed in Muscovys at hatching so they need water to drink sooner than other day old chicks. We recommend going to your local feed store and seeing if they have a For Sale/Wanted bulletin board. Or ask the person in charge of poultry at your nearest fair. Oftentimes they know every poultry hobbyist in the area and who might have these breeds available." I hope that helps.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom