They're here! Bantam cochins from Ideal

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by jossanne, Oct 23, 2008.

1. jossanne

jossanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    I ordered 10 BBS bantam cochins on Monday from Ideal, with a hatch date of October 29. Tuesday they emailed, said they'd changed my hatch date to October 22, and here they are this morning. They came overnight from southern Texas to southern New Mexico, all alive and well. They included 15 BR packing peanuts, and one of them died, so I have 24 apparently happy, healthy, very loud babies under the heat lamp warming up. I'll get pictures in a few minutes once they've adjusted a bit, and get them added.

I'M SO EXCITED!!! I CHEERED ALL THE WAY TO THE P.O.

2. PassthePeace1

PassthePeace1 Chillin' With My Peeps

I am so happy for you and your new babies. I have an order coming from Ideal on the 29th, which includes some cochins. I look forward to seeing your pics!! Maybe our chicks will be like siblings or cousins....lol. I hope I get some extras too. That would be fun.

3. juliechick

juliechick Transplanted Hillbilly

Jun 27, 2008
    Southeast AR
    Hi! Congrats on the new chicks. We got 10 from Ideal this morning, including 3 blue cochin banties and 2 partridge ones. We also got 15 BR packing peanuts. I almost had a stroke when I saw how many there were! Luckily, I found someone to take them off my hands. The cochins are so cute and cuddly!
    BTW, what does BBS mean?

4. yellowchick

yellowchick Out Of The Brooder

Oct 15, 2008
    C, Arkansas
    Got some BO's from them this morning too....4am wake up call [​IMG]

5. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    BAH! You MUST POST PICS!!!!

6. TaLani

TaLani ~ Gemini Chick ~

Oct 2, 2008
    Bryson City, NC
    Quote:Juliechick and I are wondering what "BBS" stands for..."Black Brested Standard"???[​IMG]

7. jossanne

jossanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    BBS is blue/black/splash (I think). I hope I'm right, that's what I've always assumed reading on here...

Here are the first pictures:

Blue baby
    [​IMG]

Splash baby
    [​IMG]

Black baby
    [​IMG]

Brooder full
    [​IMG]

BR and cochin together
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 23, 2008
  8. TaLani

TaLani ~ Gemini Chick ~

Oct 2, 2008
    Bryson City, NC
    Oh how cute! Congrats on your new babies! [​IMG] I believe you are right about it being blue/black/splash, I think I've read that here some time back too. Thanks for the info and the great pics. [​IMG]

9. juliechick

juliechick Transplanted Hillbilly

Jun 27, 2008
    Southeast AR
    That's what I thought it meant. Hope mine are blue, but I think they are all splash. I'll post pics after I go get some camera batteries.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by