They're here.........BUT!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by jhoffLVT, Jan 22, 2015.

1. jhoffLVT

jhoffLVT Out Of The Brooder

Dec 30, 2014
    Magnolia, TX
    Well, I ordered 10 RSL pullets from Ideal Poultry... However, upon opening the box for inspection from the post office to my surprise there were 25 chicks in the box!!! My immediate thought was what in the hell is THIS?! I called Ideal, they told me that since the weather was cold when they shipped, they through in a "few", a "few" being FIFTEEN, ROOSTERS to help keep my ladies warm during transport. Sigh. This was the whole point of ordering, so I could avoid having to deal with roosters... now I have 15 Barred Rock rooster chicks that I have to rehome immediately. I only made a brooder big enough to house 10 chicks, which 25 fit just fine right now... but C'MON!!! Anyone have suggestions as to what I can do with these rooster chicks!?!?

Question though, I told my husband he needed to put shavings down underneath the paper for a few days, correct? So they don't end up splay footed/sprattle legged....?

[​IMG]

2. HighStreetCoop

HighStreetCoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2014
    Oakland, CA
    My Coop
    OMG! At least they sent something you can TELL aren't your girls. The whole packing peanuts thing is one of the reasons I avoid hatcheries. My local feed store will take cockerels off your hands. Maybe call around and see if you can find one that does this?

3. jhoffLVT

Dec 30, 2014
    Magnolia, TX
    Thanks! I will try tomorrow, as I don't mind hanging onto them for a few days to help get my girls off to a warm start since we had a cold front blow in about an hour ago!! My husband was like WHAT HAVE YOU DONE!?! Bless his heart. Lol

4. dheltzel

dheltzel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Nov 30, 2013
    Pottstown, PA
    You have to read all the fine print when dealing with hatcheries. This is very common, unfortunately. I have a friend with pet snakes that takes all the cockerels I hatch and puts them to good use. I trust he's killing them humanely, but I'm so desperate to get rid of them that I don't ask any questions. Maybe you can think of someone with a snake that would take them. Cruel as that seems, that is the likely fate of those particular chicks if they were not sent to you. My friend buys frozen chicks by the hundreds, and I'm sure I know where they are coming from.

5. ocap

ocap Overrun With Chickens

Jan 1, 2013
    Smithville, Missouri
    someone told me about a facebook page for snake owners where you can advertise

I put my chicks on tar paper add a little dirt from their future cage (1/2 cup)

6. jhoffLVT

Dec 30, 2014
    Magnolia, TX
    That's a great idea, I'll reach out to my reptile owning friends. If I would have known that I was going to be sent all of these roosters, I would have driven the two hours there to pick them up! I feel like I shot myself in the foot... Lol. They are all eating and drinking, urinating and pooping just fine so I guess they can be content for a few days.

I can't find "fine" grit anywhere, only large course grit... is it necessary for the chicks to have it RIGHT now???

7. ocap

ocap Overrun With Chickens

Jan 1, 2013
    Smithville, Missouri
    a teaspoon full of sand worked for me, I don't think anything is necessary but I have read both sides. You might send an email to Nutrena (chicken feed manufacturer)

8. newwestchick

newwestchick Chillin' With My Peeps

You'll have to offer grit if you give them anything other than starter crumbles. Dirt from your yard should suffice for now, or you can get general bird grit (like for cockatiels etc.) from a pet supply store. Good luck with those Roos! I would raise them to 16 weeks then get them processed for the freezer...

1 person likes this.
  9. ImNotYogi

ImNotYogi Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 8, 2014
    Eastern NC
    This is one reason I decided against Ideal. According to their website, 1/4 of a box will hold 25 chicks. If you order less than 25 then they'll throw in males. Or you can purchase insurance if you don't want the males. I don't know if they state that as you're checking out or what.

10. Folly's place

Folly's place Chicken Obsessed

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    Welcome! It's part of the learning curve; happened to me with my first order long ago. I didn't understand that little detail in the MMcM catalog either. The extra cockrels were cute, grew well, and tasted great! Too few chicks that get too cold in shipping are likely to die, a much worse outcome. Mary

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by