... THEY'RE HERE!!!! Day 45!!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Kwyjibo, Jul 27, 2011.

1. Kwyjibo

Kwyjibo Out Of The Brooder

Jul 1, 2011
    Bainbridge Island, WA
    ... after years of planning, I put the plan into action & ordered my chicks. The chicks should be moving swiftly across country as I type & arrive on Bainbridge Island, WA Friday morning. Still have to work out the details w/the postmaster. I have the brooder setup and all necessary preparations have been made. I'm surrounded by stacks of well-read backyard poultry, hobby farms, & mother earth news magazines and piles of coop building materials collected over the past couple years. Now I have to get to work on the coop, hoping my building skills can outpace the growth of the chicks. More to come ... we're just getting started!

Last edited: Sep 18, 2011
  2. I-Have-Happy-Hens

I-Have-Happy-Hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2010
    Carrboro, NC
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 28, 2011
  3. Bianca67

Bianca67 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2011
    Cedar Springs, MI
    Yeah!!!!! I can hardly wait to be able to order my chicks, I wish my DH would get "crackin"[​IMG]

4. Kwyjibo

Jul 1, 2011
    Bainbridge Island, WA
    Wooohoooo! The chicks arrived. Boy, the post office guys were happy when I picked them up. They were making a racket! 26 total: 8 buckeyes, 7 mottled javas, 5 doms, & 6 gold polish (they threw in an extra). All were alive, alert, & active. All are eating, drinking, & pooping with abandon. Too soon to tell, but all the signs are good. I still have to build that coop. I have a big pile of used materials in the yard. I keep looking at it hoping inspiration will strike. My design philosophy is to let the materials tell me what to build. I think I need 10 posts 'til I can post pics (that's what someone told me).

5. I-Have-Happy-Hens

I-Have-Happy-Hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2010
    Carrboro, NC
    Post Pics!!!

6. CarolJ

CarolJ Dogwood Trace Farm

Jun 3, 2011
    Middle Tennessee
    How exciting! I'll bet those 26 little chicks were making a lot of noise! So happy for you - and I'm looking forward to seeing your coop.

7. Kwyjibo

Jul 1, 2011
    Bainbridge Island, WA
    Some chick pics - fresh out of the box. For some reason, the buckeyes are the most photogenic. They always look at the camera. By the way, can you guess which one is the polish?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. ninabeast

ninabeast Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    Upstate New York
    [​IMG]

Cuteness overload. Great pics. Enjoy...they grow up so fast!!

9. Schnayke

Schnayke Out Of The Brooder

Mar 3, 2010
    Medford, Oregon
    Do you play with yoyos?
    Love the chicks, little fuzz butts.

10. WhySayWhat

WhySayWhat Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2010
    Spokane
    How cute! Great looking chicks, and congrats!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by