1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

They're here! Now what?

Discussion in 'Ostriches, Emu, Rheas' started by Sjisty, Dec 23, 2010.

1. Sjisty

Sjisty Scribe of Brahmalot

May 18, 2009
    Brooksville
    My first emu eggs came today. They are absolutely beautiful. I can't wait to put them in the 'bator!

[​IMG]

2. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

Incubator at 96-97% humidity 33% until closer to hatch then up it to %3% I think..... Turn everyday as often as you can. [​IMG]

3. IHeartCapnHook

IHeartCapnHook Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2009
    North Dallas
    Quote:Assuming it is okay to have it in the cabinet bator with the auto turners on????

4. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    I never thought I'd say this but WOW !!!! such cool looking egg's almost too nice to do anything but look at. then again Emu's are cool too.

AL

5. KimberlyJ

KimberlyJ Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    Quote:Me too Al, I'm thinking I'd be hard pressed to let them hatch, I'd just want them to be decorations! But I understand they are a bit pricey and I THINK it takes a long time to develop an egg laying hen, so....hatch away and BEST OF LUCK. Doesn't it take 50+ days to hatch? Let us know how it goes. [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    Yes for all those reason's I would hatch away also, I wonder if those egg ship well or if they have the same problems as shipped chicken egg's. I still cannot get over how irridecent they are almost metalic looking. If it does take 50 day's or so to hatch & I don't know but Wow what a brood hen.

AL

7. WingingIt

WingingIt Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    Wow, so pretty! I know diddly about them, so will leave that to the experts, but I hope you'll update us, can't wait to see the babies!
    [​IMG]

8. JustAChickenLittle&More

JustAChickenLittle&More Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2010
    Florida
    Me either. Bring on the emu's !!!! So don't those things chase you and spit? Or do I have them mixed up with something else?[​IMG]

9. twister

twister Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2009
    Mississippi
    i've never seen an emu egg.. those are preeeeettty! gl on the hatch!

10. Sjisty

Sjisty Scribe of Brahmalot

May 18, 2009
    Brooksville
    JustAChickenLittle&More :

Me either. Bring on the emu's !!!! So don't those things chase you and spit? Or do I have them mixed up with something else?[​IMG]

I don't know - isn't is llamas that spit? Anyway, I put the eggs to bed in the incubator on Christmas eve, so we're looking at late February hatch. I can't candle them, so it's going to be a looooong 50+ days.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by