They're here! One question tho...

kodiakchicken

Songster
11 Years
Apr 18, 2008
Kodiak, Alaska
My new chicks and ducks got in this morning! I'm so lucky to have an awsome boss that let me take off to get them settled in.

All told we ordered 19 chicks and three ducks. We lost one chick, not sure what it was but thinking my white plymouth rock. They are all very, very cute. One person came and got their four, but the other two people have to travel so now I'm "chick-sitting" the 9 that aren't mine in addition to my five.

All seem healthy, but one is being really, really mean to all the others. I can't tell which he is, either an Auracana or a Wyandotte. He's pecking at all the others and just being a meany. One of the buff O's will fight back, the others just try to get out of his way. Do you think he'll stop this or should we put him in solitary confinement? My DH suggested putting him in with the ducklings as they are bigger and won't take his cr_p! I'm open to all suggestions, but want beak clipping to be the last option.

BTW, not sure how old they are. They are still tiny palm sized, but most of them have normal feathers on their wings. Any ideas of age?

I agree, sounds like a few days old. As for the "meanie" I would seperate it from the others..at least for a few days. Maybe put the BO that fights back in there with it. After a few days, they might be glad to get back with the others, and calm down. Good luck. I am not a fan of beak clipping either....it just looks so un natural....and freaky to me.

Try switching to a red heat lamp (if you havent already) sometimes it helps.

Also seems like the biggest bullies we have had turned out to be roosters.
ep.gif
but dont quote me on that
big_smile.png

When I got my new babies a few weeks ago my only little Barred Rock, of all things, was being downright evil. I called it meany but my son quickly forced me to call "her" Star. The bullying stopped after a day or so....I really think it was more from stress than anything. However, she is now looking VERY boyish!!!! So there may be something to that theory. I, personally would just watch for a day or so to see if it stops once they are all settled.

Back
Top Bottom