They're HERE!!!!! One spraddle-legged...Guesses on FRC????

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by cjeanean, May 27, 2008.

1. cjeanean

cjeanean Can't Decide

Mar 5, 2008
    Missouri
    My baby chicks were shipped from McMurray last night, and they're already here!!!! I'm so excited!!!!! I have one major problem.....my car doesn't start when it's wet out, and it rained this morning!!! So my chicks have to sit at the PO until like 12:30, when my hubby goes to pick them up. [​IMG] [​IMG] Patience is a virtue that I DO NO possess!!!! I've already raised a few groups of babies, but the question I have is about post office protocol. I've heard ppl say that I need to open the box while at the PO so that the workers witness whether or not any of them died (please Lord, don't let any of them die!) Is this true???? I told my husband to do that, but if it's not necessary I don't want him to have to open the box. I wanna be the first to see them!

Last edited: May 27, 2008
  2. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    [​IMG]

I didn't open my box - well my hubby picked it up and brought it home and I got to open it....

The babies will be fine, that was a super fast shipping time, most spend a couple of days in the mail.

3. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2007
    Longmont, CO
    Sounds like you have a crack in the distributor cap. I used to have that problem with one of my cars.

I never open the box at the post office. They would all jump out. MMH chicks are pretty energetic little critters.

Good luck, get a friend to take you to the Post office.

4. Acre of Blessings

Acre of Blessings Canning/Sewing Addict

Apr 3, 2008
    Axton, VA
    When you get the chicks home, please post some pics of the fur balls. It's 12:30 my time so I will think of you when it's 1:30 here. Here's hoping for all lively chicks. [​IMG]

5. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    I think it depends on where you ordered from...check McMurrays refund policy or live delivery guarantee.

They should be fine if they shipped yesterday and arrived today.

Good luck and post pics when you get them!

6. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    As far as post office protocol goes, it's only important to check them in front of a P.O. employee if the order was insured. I checked mine at the P.O. even though my order wasn't insured, the postmaster and the carrier that was there just both wanted to see them. It wasn't until I got them home and out of the box that I found the two dead ones; they were pretty well crushed under the others.
    Good luck with your new babies.

7. cjeanean

cjeanean Can't Decide

Mar 5, 2008
    Missouri
    Oh you better BELIEVE I'm posting pics ASAP!!!!! That's the number one rule here: post pics of any animals that are being discussed, and even the ones that aren't being discussed!!! LOL!!! I told my hubby that I was so excited when I heard that my baby chicks were in, and that I had to tell my chicken buddies....he laughed at me LOL. Distributor cap??? Hmmm......I don't know. I have a 93 toyota camry LE, and it's been a headache ever since I got it. The engine blew exactly a month after I bought it, I put another in, then the timing belt went out, then the power steering wasn't working (now all the sudden it is, since the weather warmed up) and it won't start when it's wet out. Just to let everyone know, if the people who put my order together did so correctly I will have:

Standard white cochins (males and females)
    Dark Cornish roos
    white rocks (males and females)
    RIR roo
    Buff Orp roo (before I knew that I already had a BO male...he was supposed to be a she, so now I'll have 2!)
    white leghorns (males and females)

..........and a free rare chick!!!!! I hope it really is rare and that I can't tell what it is....I love the idea of a guessing game!!!

8. lovemychicks9

lovemychicks9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2008
    South Carolina
    Quote:Okay I have to ask Gritsar who did you order from? I ordered a small batch , insured , from Ideal and they are do to come June 25 ( not soon enough for me!!) and I guess that is something I need to think about and do in front of a PO employee, right? Trudy [​IMG] [​IMG] ( Hurry up June 25!!)

9. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:I ordered from Ideal. My order arrived in early April, April 11th to be exact. Despite the loss of two, given the health and vigor of my other chicks I would order from Ideal again. Their customer service is great too. My account was credited for the two lost the same day I called them. Also, Teri from Ideal posts on this forum and you can e-mail her with any questions, as I did while waiting for my order. I believe her user I.D. is 'idealpoultry', so you could do a search for that user name.
    IF your order is insured you definitely want to open it in front of a postal employee. I just posted about the two crushed chicks as a heads up. You look in the box and all you see are lively jumping chicks and it's very easy to miss any dead ones because they of course get stomped on by the other chicks. [​IMG] It's necessary to pack them fairly tightly for warmth. Good luck with your order.
    P.S. Did you order any light brahmas? My light brahmas are just the sweetest fiestiest things. I love em to pieces. [​IMG]

10. lovemychicks9

lovemychicks9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2008
    South Carolina
    I had thought about it but I have all standard size girls and I feared for their safety as they were smaller. I am getting 2 BR's, 2 RIR's and 2 GSL's. Trudy [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by