They're here! Pics & a question

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Kaugomu, Jun 8, 2011.

1. Kaugomu

Kaugomu Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2011
    San Antonio
    Our sweet babies arrived this morning and are all set in their brooder! Sadly, the leghorn didn't survive the shipping, but our Red Star and Barred Rock are working out a pecking order and settling in great!

1 quick question, when to do I take the paper towel off from the top of the shavings?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

EDIT: We were able to find a semi-local source (it was a 2 hour drive) for a new chick so that we still get three girls all about the same age. This afternoon we drove up and picked out an Ameraucana chick (not sure what color variety) who, we were told, is two weeks old. She's still adjusting from the trauma of being removed from all the other birds she knew, driven all around, and being put in her new home, but as soon as she relaxes I'll try and get some pictures of the three of them together. :)

Last edited: Jun 8, 2011
  2. ninabeast

ninabeast Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    Upstate New York
    So sorry to hear your little girl didn't make it!

I never even put down paper towel (!), but I've read other members say that they use it from 1 day to 1 week, or until the chicks know what there food is and where to get it.

3. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    5-7 days. Just to make sure they know what food is.

Sorry you lost one, but congrats on the babies!

4. drifter

drifter Out Of The Brooder

May 26, 2011
    I took the paper towels up as soon as i observed them starting to use the feeder ... it too about 3 days and all were using the feeder.

Sorry about the little girl that didnt make it [​IMG]

5. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    I'm sorry to hear about your chick. [​IMG]. I never used paper towels, just used coarse pine shavings. I'm switching to the fine pine shavings for raiser clean up in the coop. My chicks are older and it's easy to scoop the poo with a litter box scooper.

Your chicks are adorable! They grow so fast! My youngest two are 5 or 6 weeks old already!

6. tiffanyg2

tiffanyg2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2011
    SC
    I'm sorry you lost one~ but glad you have some babies to love on [​IMG]

I never used the papertowel method~ so I couldn't answer that!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by