They're here! Pics added!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by WillowISA, Jul 3, 2011.

1. WillowISA

WillowISA Out Of The Brooder

Jun 17, 2011
    So I went for an Australorp and a Sussex and came home with neither lol.

There were so many to choose from and so friendly! He had a whole stall filled with pullets of different breeds. We ended up with 2 6-7 week old pullets. A Mille Fleur D'Uccle Bantam and an Americana. The Mille Fleur (Taffy) jumped into my mom's pursed and looked at her like "I'm ready!" A few came to me, but when I saw the old Americana I knew I wanted one of them. So he found me a multi colored pullet who is now known as Callie (as in calico). They are outside in the hutch right now and doing very well. They've been eating, drinking, pooing, and picking on each other already [​IMG] We're undecided if we're going to leave them out tonight or not...it's going to be warm, but it's their first night. What do you think?

Saranna

I will get pics later or tomorrow. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 3, 2011
  2. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    what are the temps? At 6-7 weeks, they should be fine as long as you don't get too cold...can't wait for the pics!

3. earnhardtlvr

earnhardtlvr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    Hagerstown, MD
    pics pic pics pics!! [​IMG]

4. WillowISA

Jun 17, 2011
    We're in NJ so today is mid 80's plus humidity and tonight is supposed to be 68 with scattered storms. They have full shelter as well.

So here are some pics! Again, they're supposed to be about 6 weeks old.

This is Callie the Americana: (P.S. - ignore my shirt, they got me already [​IMG] ) And she has green legs.
    [​IMG]

Here is Taffy the Mille Fleur D'Uccle:
    [​IMG]

And some in the hutch:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Saranna

5. NewChickMomma2011

NewChickMomma2011 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 26, 2011
    Annapolis Valley
    Wow they are beautiful

6. Lady Chickadee

Lady Chickadee Rocky Top Silkies

Apr 1, 2011
    Central Kentucky
    I think that they will be fine. By the way they're really pretty![​IMG]

7. sunny & the 5 egg layers

sunny & the 5 egg layers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 29, 2011
    They are adorable! Congrats!

8. littlestars17

littlestars17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    They are beautiful<3 I would love another mille fleur<3 Is that hutch in an enclosed run?? If not I would go over the wire on it with hardware cloth...If its the hutch Im thinking it is a coon or other animal could easily reach in and hurt your girls : /

9. earnhardtlvr

earnhardtlvr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    Hagerstown, MD
    [​IMG] [​IMG] Cuteness overload!

10. WillowISA

Jun 17, 2011
    Quote:We have a groundhog...he's pretty much the biggest threat lol. I do have more chicken wire from modifying the pen we're attatching to give them ground time so if I start seeing anything I'll put it on. Our neighbor has over a dozen hens and a rooster and his haven't been bothered. They also discovered they can go on the perch themselves and stay right in the middle away from edges. They are smart little things. The breeder we went to has a lot of Mille Fleurs, roos and pullets. It was so hard to choose just 2 pullets!!

They survived the first night and since there were fireworks plus thunderstorms and I guess that means they'll be ok? Lol. The only questions I really have at this point are:
    1. Callie is drinking alot...they emptied the water bottle over night and she ran to it when it was filled this morning. Is that normal?
    2. When can they start going on the ground in their run? We might be able to finish it today, but I don't want them to be too young.
    3. They poo a lot more than Willow (RIP) did...is that normal?

Saranna

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by