They're here! They're here!! Now what?

allig8r

Songster
12 Years
I'll post pics later--I promise! I just couldn't wait to say THEY'RE HERE!!!
wee.gif

Looks like they sent me an extra, too. I got 9 chicks and ordered 8. I can't say for sure, but it LOOKS like I got 4 barred rocks and 1 black australorp instead of 2 barred rocks and 2 black australorps. (we also got 2 buff orps and 2 RIRs).

Peeps spent the night with no problems. I had one, lone, loud peeper in the darkness. When I checked, they were all huddled under the heat light and the temp read 90 deg. so I warmed it up and they quieted down and spread out a bit.

I made sure they all drank. They had a blast with the food (chick crumbles--and I put some on the floor of our brooder box), but I need a real chick feeder because they got up ON the food. I had a few try to sit in the water, too (one of the regular chick waterers)... isn't that dangerous or bad for them to be wet like that?

I made sure to handle them a bit already. They get very peep-y when they hear us.
big_smile.png

When should I put a little roost up for them?

And yeah--they poop a LOT!

they wont need to roost for a few weeks yet. They'll huddle in a chick pile for now. You'll know when they want to roost because nothing stops them from hopping on the feeders/waters/brooder sides.
Have fun! their so much fun to observe at this age(or any age for that matter)
I spend hours sitting next to the brooder watching them.

Quote:
They still aren't very bright, that's all. I once had a chick who routinely laid her head on the side of the waterer to go to sleep. I was sure she was going to drown! It's best to always keep the waterer the height of a chickens back. This makes drinking easier, and keeps the water cleaner. Even though your babies are still wee little things, you could raise the waterer an inch or so. That should keep their little butts out of it!

Back
Top Bottom