They're HERE!!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Rhett&SarahsMom, Jun 12, 2008.

1. Rhett&SarahsMom

Rhett&SarahsMom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2008
    Our order from Ideal arrived this morning. shipped yesterday.
    We werent expecting them until tomorrow so my husband is going to be a bit upset that he missed their arrival and the opening of the box.

All the chicks are active. No DOA's. Have already eaten the chick starter I spread on the grain bag. And are drinking. They are in my horses 100 gal water trough. SO happy I kept that!!

We received no extras, only the 10 we ordered.
    1 Black Cochin and 9 Buff Orps. Only 3 of the Buff Orps will be staying. the other 6 will be going to Chickn on the 29th.

I will post pics later!

It's so funny. The Black Cochin stands out against the little buff babies.

2. Coop-a-kick

Coop-a-kick Out Of The Brooder

Jun 2, 2008
    Altamonte Springs, FL
    So glad everyone was peeping along when you opened the box! Hopefully they're all happy and healthy babies. Congratulations! [​IMG]

3. RobinEgg

RobinEgg Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2008
    Congrats! So great to hear everyone is fine. I'm expecting an order from Ideal tomorrow and of course like all good chicken mamas I'll worry about them until they get here. I'm nervous about them being in route scared of any delays and such....oh the wait is almost causeing hives, lol. really!

4. Rhett&SarahsMom

May 8, 2008
    I talked to them the entire trip home. Trying to reassure them that they were going to be ok. I think even my daughter now thinks I am nuts.[​IMG]
    Then I called my mom and left a message on her answering machine of them peeping. She called me back laughing.
    The brooder is in the living room and will be there until they move out to the coop in a few weeks.

I am just so happy that they are all seem so healthy and strong. They are taking little naps. Are not really loud at all and are all very friendly. Took me a bit to get the temp right though. I put a 40wt in the lamp and they huddled up together under it. Got the 250wt and they seemed hot(brooder is a galvanized steel tub) So that was heating up as well. Then I dug around and found a 75wt(last regular bulb in the house, all the others are energy saver bulbs) Now they seem comfortable and happy. I am with myself that I am being so calm about them. When I got my horse 3 yeas ago I didnt want to leave him for a minute. I was so scared something was going to happen to him. But I am comfortable with these little ones.

5. Sherrie

Sherrie Out Of The Brooder

Apr 29, 2008
    NC
    WOW no extra's.. My order came in today also, I got 11 extra's..

6. Rhett&SarahsMom

May 8, 2008
    My barn owner got hers from Ideal this mornign as well and got no extra's. She mentioned that maybe it was because of the heat we have been getting, but I remembered you are in NC and got extra's. And I know it is hotter down there than up here.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by