They're here!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by musikfan6, Mar 12, 2012.

1. musikfan6

musikfan6 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 16, 2012
    Lititz, PA
    Well folks. I just picked up first brood of layers. I actually ended up getting eight instead of my original five. I have several barred rocks, three black sexlink, and I think the other ones are rhode island reds(not completely sure). They are in the brooder sleeping right now. Is it normal for them to get real active and then to all pile up together and go to sleep? I hope they are doing well. I gave them some feed and water, and they were pecking and drinking a little. My kids are SO EXCITED!

2. Bart1

Bart1 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 13, 2010
    connecticut
    make sure you dip each of there beaks in the water so they all know where it is. and yes it is normal for them all to be very active then crash. They are babies.. make sure the temp in the brooder is a constant temp of 90-95degrees. Congrats on your babies. they are fun watching. after a few days not to stress them out during their first week get them used to your voice then sit by there brooder and put feed in the palm of your hand and hold it still and give your "call" chick chickchick(what ever you choose for them to come to you by) and hold still in a couple days they will start coming up to you and eat right out of your hands. This will make them so they are not skitish. Have Fun..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by