"They're just chickens"

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by RevaVirginia, Nov 4, 2009.

1. RevaVirginia

RevaVirginia Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2009
    Reva, VA
    Lost my favorite girl about 4 hours ago. Hit by a car. Hard stuff to take. The road is long and straight and a over 100 yds from the coop. I'd started some work outside and the crew was anticipating some logs getting turned for Rolli Pollies, as I did. Then I went inside to grumble to myself about a new tool that was already rendered useless. They all made their way to the road. Wish it was me going down the road, I brake for animals. Happy though that she died so quickly and not another predator heartbreak that are so prevalent here.

Just went out and saw the rest of them near the coop and had the thought that I'd be locking them down for the night in about 1/2 hour and they'd come running like they always do. But "they're just chickens now". The routine is gone forever. Probably a grief thing But that was my thought. RIP dear gal.

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

[​IMG] I'm sorry, hon. I know how tough that can be.

3. HippieChickens

HippieChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2009
    [​IMG]

4. Bec

Bec THE Delaware Blue Hen

I am so sorry for the loss of your little friend [​IMG]

5. BigSkyChickens

BigSkyChickens Free Bird

Apr 3, 2009
    Pleasant Hill, CA
    May your heart heal quickly......[​IMG] hugs....

6. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Yesterday morning I was on my way to work... well the folks down the street let there chickens out to free range about 7AM and so I always watch carefully in case they are crossing the street.

Well, they were crossing yesterday.. I slow down and stop for them and a lady coming the other direction slowed down just a little and then ran right over a beautiful little game pullet.... and then she drove off!

I got out an put the dead chicken on the folks front lawn... I felt so badly... the people who live there still haven't removed it! I'm about to go get a bag and dispose of it properly...

I'm mad and it wasn't even my chicken!!

She slowed down, WHY DIDN'T she STOP!!???

anyway... sorry for your loss.

7. beckt

beckt Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Indiana
    I feel your pain. I lost my favorit duck like that. One min. they are happy playing in the yard went in to use restroom and came out seconds after it happened. Huggs to you.

8. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

[​IMG]

9. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    So sorry for your loss. [​IMG]

I don't understand why people can't slow down for animals. Sometimes I wonder if it's a game or not.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by