1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

They're laying! (happy dance here!)

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by GoodEgg, Oct 18, 2007.

1. GoodEgg

GoodEgg Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2007
    NW Florida
    Well ... I wasn't really expecting it today, but I got a very nice surprise! Two nice brown eggs, so dark brown, and one of them very tiny, the other close to normal sized. Probably from one of the red sex-links I'm guessing. They've been being bred most often by the roos. (The australorps attack the roos if they try, and the barred rocks aren't even interesting to the roos.) Whoever it was, I'm very pleased. I used the last of my duck eggs today (they don't always keep up with us at 1-2 eggs per day) so I was glad to be assured of SOME eggs in the fridge at least. And I haven't had chicken eggs in over a month now.

So we are doing the happy dance here! And it was good timing for another reason. My DD let them out for me today, and didn't put the coop's back door lock where I normally put it, and the front door wouldn't close, so I was out there struggling to put them up when ICY rain started to fall, and I got drenched in the downpour, after already not feeling too well today. So I need a good reason to forgive them and not be upset if I get sick, LOL.

Glad to know they started to lay. I was starting to think they might just molt first and put off laying till much later, since they were almost 20 weeks old.

And I've not been online much in a long time, but I HAD to come here and share my egg-citement! [​IMG]

trish

2. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    Congrats on your eggs!!

3. mosier

mosier Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2007
    Madison, Wisconsin
    Congratulations. My three are 21 weeks old and still not an egg to be seen.

4. Mulemom

Mulemom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2007
    Sacramento, CA
    Yeah, Good Egg!!!!I got my first egg yesterday too!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by