1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

They're laying! They're laying!

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by orumpoultry, Mar 26, 2012.

1. orumpoultry

orumpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2012
    Trinity, TX
    [​IMG][​IMG]

After several days of watching my Tom attempt to mount his hens, I found two ( different colored! ) eggs!!!! Both hens are laying!!!! AND! They used the nest box ( which has a sun roof...) I made them! Now I know why he has been very fussy all morning! Now, since I haven't seen him actually mount the hens and 'connect' - is there a way to check fertility without opening eggs?

Is it the same with chicken eggs, should I not set the first few?

I'm so excited!!!![​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

2. MACluckinChicks

MACluckinChicks Out Of The Brooder

Mar 5, 2012
    West Stockbridge, MA
    YAY![​IMG] I can't wait until my ladies are ready.

3. OMG IM SO JEAULOUS! OUR HENS WONT BE LAYING FOR SEVERAL WEEKS!

4. orumpoultry

Jan 30, 2012
    Trinity, TX
    I can't stop going to check the eggs... I think I'm about to crack them open and check for bulls eyes...

5. I think the first few eggs will be infertile so if you do do it in a frying pan LOL

6. orumpoultry

Jan 30, 2012
    Trinity, TX
    I have chicks that REALLY love scrambled eggs... Going to be getting some tomorrow evening unless I get over excited and check tonight. Tom still doesn't look like he's connecting with the hens but it's a wait an see situation here!

7. ooh cool, our chicks love beef [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by