They're not interested in any treats yet...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by MarieNC, May 17, 2010.

1. MarieNC

MarieNC Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    My 6 babies are not yet interested in anything but their food. I tried yogurt, hard boiled egg and tomato so far. I even put the yogurt in my hand with some of their regular feed sprinkled on it. Absolutely no interest from any of them. Anything else I should try? Are they still too young for this sort of thing? They're about 2.5 weeks old.

Last edited: May 17, 2010
  2. zatsdeb

zatsdeb Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2007
    Lincoln, Illinois
    have you tried a handful of fresh picked grass? they usually love that!

3. Gallusfarm

Gallusfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2009
    You know, our chicks don't want anything other than their food either. But once they are a few months old they won't leave you alone begging for treats!!!

4. MissJenny

MissJenny Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Mine weren't interested in anything early on either -- but that changed very suddenly with a plate of chopped grapes last week. They are now 4 weeks old -- they love grapes, worms, meal worms and tomatoes. Peas, not so much! Give them a try again in a few days -- it's way fun to watch them go wild over their treat.

One thingI do when mine look bored is to give them a shovel-full of dirt in a cake pan. They love to scratch and dig through it. If their is a worm in the dirt -- so much the better! LOL

Oh, and to digest treats they need to have some kind of grit.

Jenny

5. StormyMoon

StormyMoon Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2010
    Alvarado, TX
    have any of you ever tried corn masa that you make tortillas with?
    I add a little water to it and roll them up like tiny worms and the bigger birds my barred rocks love it but I have to crumble it for the smaller bantams or they wont eat it.
    I say bigger but my Barred rocks are only 5 weeks old but body wise they are huge compared to my bantams.

6. MarieNC

May 10, 2010
    Well the fresh cut grass was a big hit, although the little buggers waited until I had left the room to eat it. And I sat and watched them for a good 10 minutes! Came back and the treat plate was empty! I gave them some grit along with the grass. I also gave them a little bit of millet seed which also disappeared. Onward and upward!

7. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Yep, you kinda have to leave the treats in with them a bit before they realize it's safe to eat them.

I used to give my youngin's millet seed still on the stalk, till one little flying pig decided to try and eat the stalk. After that, I plucked the pods of seeds off the stalk before giving it to them.

8. NurseNettie

NurseNettie Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2008
    Northern Maine
    Just remember, "treats" are fun for us, but the chickens don't usually care [​IMG] LOL

Try grass, veggies, garden leftovers, kitchen scraps, etc, if you want-- grass and veggies especially, but I wouldn't get overly worried. When they're out on their own and can forage, they'll decide what "treats" they want to have [​IMG]

Quote:

9. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    I know it's early (mine are just over two weeks) but I tried a few mealworms and a cut up seedless grape (yes, they have grit) and OMG my chicks turned into little savages. Just that little bit and they run to my side of the pen when I go in the room. I've been giving them a tiny bit of yogurt and scrambled egg since day one, but they probably don't consider it as treaty as those few worms!

10. MarieNC

May 10, 2010
    Where do you get mealworms? I saw some live crickets at Petsmart today but I figured they were a little too young for that. I will pick up some grapes next time I'm at the grocery store. Laughing at "little savages", featherz....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by