they're not moving (updated)

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by my4ladies, Jul 19, 2010.

1. my4ladies

my4ladies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2010
    this is day 6/7 and I don't see any movement. I've looked all over youtube and keep finding lots of videos where you can see the little chick moving, and in all of them you see the big dark spot...the eye.

In mine, I was seeing the veins, and everything was looking comparable to what I would google. Then this morning when I candled I see less veins (but I was also noticing this in other pics...that the veins were less clear), but I wasn't even able to tell where the chick was. In all the pics/videos I've looked at you can at least see where the chick is, and I can't....and nothing moving.

Is this normal?

Last edited: Jul 19, 2010
  2. my4ladies

Jul 4, 2010
    OMG OMG .....nevermind. I had to candle again (yes, i'm obsessive) and it's doing the boogie!!! I am so flippin' excited!!!!

3. nicoletm24

nicoletm24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2010
    Timberlake
    [​IMG]

4. jettgirl24

jettgirl24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2010
    Duvall, WA
    What kind of babies are you hatching?

I haven't seen mine moving yet at 10 days but I can definitely tell they're developing and getting bigger. I've kind of given up on candling now because the eggs are dark enough that it's just too hard to tell whats going on in there. I've got one out of the 12 that doesn't look like it's developed at all (probably infertile). I'm leaving it in the bator for now and won't take it out before hatch time unless it starts to smell. Don't want to damage a sweet baby just because I made a newbie mistake!

5. my4ladies

Jul 4, 2010
    a Silkie [​IMG] ...and there's a bit of a story behind it. I have only one left now b/c I'm impatient/obsessed/curious/paranoid. I got the eggs when I thought my mom had an incubator (it was a spur of the moment thing), when actually she had sold the bator last year. So I rigged up a little bator and the first night woke up to high temps (110 at one end, 120 at the other). After wondering whether I cooked them or not (literally) I broke one open (one that was in the higher temps). Wasn't sure if it was fertile or not b/c I broke it in the grass...but it wasn't cooked. Just had a very strong, rubbery type of membrane (it bounced when I purposely dropped it off of my porch!). So on day 3 in the bator and accidentally letting the temp spike again, I was about ready to throw in the towel with frustration. I thought for sure after cooking them twice they'd be gonners. So I candled them expecting to see veins. When I didn't, I started cracking eggs open, starting from the ones that had gotten the hottest (smallest chance of living)...1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, not fertile. The 5th was fertile, but had the bullseye that looked like a freshly laid fertile egg when comparing it to this site: http://poultryworld.tripod.com/embryo.htm, no further development...so maybe it did get cooked? The 6th was also fertile and looked like the picture of the 3 day old embryo. So I think I killed that one [​IMG] Obviously, I left the 8th. So now I have a tremendous attachment to this little bugger, like it's my own. Motherly instinct I guess, lol. I check on it (temps) about every hour. My husband thinks I've gone crazy...my kids too! Maybe I am! I've been thinking about it so much that I dreamt last night it hatched and was born without a beak, but with a human mouth. I'm so afraid that if, by miracle, it does hatch, it will have a deformity/brain damage and die anyway...after I'm all attached to it now.

About yours...I'm brand new at this (other than being around when my mom has done hers), so I just keep googling things (obsessively) and posting here. I've learned that after a certain point, the veins become harder to see. I would think you'd be able to see movement though. Maybe you need a brighter light?? Position probably has nothing to do with seeing movement, but after I found the dark shadow, I tipped the egg slightly, pointy side up. That's when it started wiggling. That was the first time I saw it though, so of course anything I did before it was what made it move, lol!!!

Last edited: Jul 19, 2010
  6. my4ladies

Jul 4, 2010
    and good luck to both you and me!! [​IMG]

7. jettgirl24

jettgirl24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2010
    Duvall, WA
    I probably do need a brighter light... The one I had got SO hot so I switched to a flashlight. Basically I just wanted to see if anything was even happening in there so I didn't spend a whole lot of time inspecting them. Maybe I'll try again with the other half tonight just to see [​IMG] I had a couple temp spikes too although not nearly so extreme... More like 102 or 103 so mine look a little overdeveloped. I'm trying to keep them temps on the lower side of normal now to slow their growth down a bit if I can. I want to candle so bad but I'm reeeaaally trying my best to just leave them and see what happens! It's so hard though!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by