They're on the way! Brooder is ready.

JDS98922

Songster
Mar 22, 2019
Central Washington State
So I ordered 12 day-old chicks from mypetchicken. They shipped today and should be here Wednesday morning.

20190422_185721.jpg

20190422_185732.jpg

20190422_190106.jpg

I put up my MHP last night but figured out I over engineered it. So today I tore it apart and simplified it. I'm getting better heat already. I "built" my little brooder area. It's roughly 7 foot by 5 foot and 23 inches high, excluding the MHP area.

I will add chicken wire as a cover. I have puppy pads on the floor now (under the panels to help protect the floor) and I will cover it with pine shavings after

I am getting anxious!

Thank you! I was debating about sectioning off part of it.

If you only have twelve chicks coming and only 1 location for food and water, then I would recommend sectioning off a smaller area for the first week at least - because it is such a large space. They will need all that space later. At first they need heat, food and water, and can easily find all those things in a smaller area.

Good luck and enjoy the chicks!!

I would also pull the mhp out and put it in the main brooder area, not back where you have it. With 12 chicks especially, you want them to have access to at least 2 sides minimum, so none get trapped inside and smothered. It looks like you might have it set up on a cooling rack, if so make all 4 sides open if you can, that would be even better. Also like aart said, get rid of the towel on the floor, it's not needed and could be a hazard.

Last year(this pic) I had the front and back open for 9 chicks. This year I had 3 sides open for 11 chicks
2018 mama heat pad.jpg

@aart and @blackdog043 does this look better???
20190423_181348.jpg

Open on 3 sides. Close to the water. No towels on the floor. A cover to help retain heat and block drafts.
20190423_181353.jpg

I worry about them getting chilled, we keep our house about 60-65 in the spring. That room has the least traffic and drafts from doors. I am putting a electric radiator in there tonight to keep it warmer.

Yes that's much better! You really don't have to worry about putting a heater in the room. I brood in my coop, the lows this year were in the upper 30's and high's in the upper 50's when I first had them out there. There are others, that brood in the coop at lower temperatures than I do because they live up north.

Yes that's much better! You really don't have to worry about putting a heater in the room. I brood in my coop, the lows this year were in the upper 30's and high's in the upper 50's when I first had them out there. There are others, that brood in the coop at lower temperatures than I do because they live up north.

Thank you. I've been researching and planning this for a while now...I've gotten to the point that I'm over thinking everything. I appreciate your time and suggestions.

Back
Top Bottom