They're Squatting, Finally!!

socalchicks

In the Brooder
10 Years
Sep 1, 2009
Temecula Valley, CA
I have 5 chickens - 2 Silkies, 2 RIR's and 1 EE. One of my Silkies started laying for me on New Years Day, but she's been the only one laying for the last week. In the last 7 days, I've gotten 6 eggs. She's doing good!

I keep looking at my other girls to start. The EE and the RIRs have looked ready to lay for the last few weeks, but nothing. I've never seen any of them do the squatting thing I keep hearing about. So, today I let them out to free range and thought I'd try to pet them and see what they do. Well my EE and one of the RIRs squatted for me!
yippiechickie.gif
These are the same two that will always come sit on my lap when I go out and hang with them while they're free ranging.

The EE just squatted down and opened her wings a little bit. The RIR did the same thing, but she also stomped her feet until I took my hand off her back. The other RIR and the other Silkie gave me the stink eye and ran away (although not too far, I did have treats!). Its funny, the RIR that did the squatting looks like she's behind the other one in terms of maturity. We'll see what happens, but I'm looking forward to having more than just one bantam egg a day!

About how long does it take them to actually start laying once they start squatting? I hope not too long!
cool.png

My Australorp just started to lay for me. She did the squatting thing about 5 days before the first eggs. Someone told me when they squat, lightly shake them with your hand lying flat on their back. Its kinda funny. My girl will fluff her feathers out afterward and strut away. My boyfriend says I'm molesting my girl....ewwww....

Not to burst your bubble but I have 3 pullets that are laying and only 1 does the squat. She is my rir. My EE and my SLW lay but do not squat. I am waiting for my other EE and GLW to lay. Hopefully, one day. They are all 33 weeks old.

mary

Jess N Jeff - That's exactly what mine did! She fluffed up her feathers and strutted away! Its funny!

sotelomary - I understand that not all chickens will do the squat, even if they are laying. But, if they are doing the squat doesn't that mean eggs are coming? My silkie started laying last week and she doesn't squat either. Mine are all almost 24 weeks so they're definitely in the right age range.

I'm new to chickens, but from what I've read on this board the squat means they are getting ready to lay. Have you had any that squat, but didn't lay? I hope the rest of your girls start laying soon for you!

socialchicks

You are right. If they squat they will definitely start laying soon. But don't get discouraged if they don't because they could still lay eggs soon.

In a nut shell. Squat = eggs,
No squat = maybe:)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom