they're STILL sleeping on the floor

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by horsewishr, Aug 8, 2007.

1. horsewishr

horsewishr Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2007
    West Michigan
    Do I have to pick my girls up EVERY night and put them on the roost? I'm starting to get frustrated. We even moved the roost to the corner where they sleep, and lowered it (so it's easier to jump up there). The dumb bunnies still INSIST on sleeping on the floor. Are they EVER going to get the message??

They're 17 weeks old. I've been moving them up on the roost every night for weeks, but sometimes I don't get out there until after midnight (I work 3-11). Is that what the problem is? Is there any hope??

Incidentally, we opened up the nest boxes to let them explore. They never go in there, either. Grrr. I just KNOW they're going to lay their eggs on the floor.

This is too hard for a control-freak mom to handle [​IMG]

2. momoftwinsinwi

momoftwinsinwi Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2007
    Rochester, WI
    Mine were jumping on a stick I ran thru the chicken wire while they were still chicks in the "kiddie pool" and I still don't know if they roost at night in their coop, but there's 2 roosts set up in there. I also put a "ladder roost" in the run, also helps keep the netting raised a bit and you'll see if they get the "jist" of it during the day while they are in the run instead of fretting over them at night [​IMG] ----good luck!!

3. Julie in Al

Julie in Al Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2007
    Dothan, Al
    They will eventually roost . Put some plastic eggs in the nest so they will get the idea. They usually don't start laying till 20 weeks or their combs and wattles will turn very red. I have a nice flock of Orps that i Use to introduce younger birds to big coop life with. Once they see the older ones roosting, it doesn't take long before they start.

4. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    Some birds just dont like to roost i suppose. I have some bantams about 4 months old that still dont get on the roost. Most birds dont start laying until around 4-6 months, sometimes it takes longer.

5. Firefly

Firefly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2007
    Connecticut
    I gave up the roost battle. Mine (5 20 week old RIRs) will use their roost during the day, but at night they all gather on top of one of the nesting boxes (always the same one!) to sleep. So, I built a frame around the outside top edge and filled it with hay, which I replace daily.

Their nesting boxes have been closed until recently, but so far they haven't slept/pooped in them. [​IMG] I guess as long as they keep the poop out of the nesting boxes, I'll be happy!

Kelli

6. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    That's my problem .... keeping the light breeds from sleeping in the nest boxes. My standard breeds all learned within a few nights of my picking them up and putting them on the roosts, they all now sleep on the roost.

I just can't get my smaller three to get out of the nest boxes at night.

Good luck on your problem ... I'd sure rather have mine sleeping on the floor.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by